Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holiday Hazards​
Alcohol is toxic to pets and should never be given to them during the holidays.
New Years.
Balloons and Confetti- These are fun holiday decorations but given to or obtained by a pet they can obstruct intestines or cause a choking hazard. Keep an eye on your pets or keep them in an undecorated area.
Loud Noises- New years is typically a noisy holiday. Pets may become frightened and run away or become defensive. Keep pets away from firecrackers and noisemakers, and other noises that may scare them.

Valentine’s Day.
Flowers- Many types of flowers and plants are harmful to pets if ingested.
Chocolate- Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and in severe cases chocolate poisoning can be fatal.

Easter.
Fake Grass- This fun ‘grass’ may look appetizing to your pets but it can cause choking or obstruct their intestines if ingested.
Small toys and other plastic items- These are serious choking hazards and can cause internal damage if swallowed.

4th of July. (and other national holidays)
Fireworks- These can scare your pets making them run off or causing serious injury of detonated near them. Many formulas are toxic if ingested.

Halloween.
Trick-or-Treaters- Repeatedly opening the door to greet trick-or-treaters increases the chances of your pets running out. Keep an eye on their whereabouts at all times. If possible keep them in a secure or closed room when answering the door.
Candles- Pets are naturally curious and could be attracted to the light of an open flame. Pets can burn themselves or knock the candles over starting a fire.
Xylitol- Candy and gum sweetened with xylitol is toxic and should be kept away from pets.
Chocolate- All forms of Chocolate are toxic to pets. Chocolate can cause various types of poisoning which could result in death.

Thanksgiving.
Bones- Chicken, turkey, and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter very easily and can cause serious internal injury if swallowed. NEVER give them to your pet.
Hot Containers- Pets will most likely become curious when they smell food cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so your pet doesn’t knock them over and get burned.

Christmas.
Holiday Plants- Christmas Rose, Holly, Lilies, and Mistletoe, are all toxic to dogs and cats. Pine is toxic to small animals.
Ribbons- It may look cute but placing a ribbon around your pet’s neck can cause choking or strangulation hazard.
Bubbling lights- older forms of this festive decoration may contain menthylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical
Fire Salts- Contain chemicals which can be toxic if swallowed.
Angel Hair (Spun Glass)- Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amounts.
Christmas Tree Water- Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset in ingested.
Decoration hooks- can cause blockage and/trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed.
Styrofoam- Can be a choking hazard if swallowed.
Ornaments- These look like toys to pets but they can cause serious injury, especially if broken or swallowed
Tinsel- Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.


I did not write this. I copied it from an ASPCA pamphlet entitled ‘101 things you didn’t know could harm your pet.’ Please keep these things in mind when you celebrate holidays with your loved ones and four-legged family members.
 

·
Amateur Zookeeper
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
Yeah thats a great idea! Oh and for easter thats totally true about the grass, cats love it but their body doesn't!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea my in-law's stopped buying it because their cat kept trying to eat it.
 

·
Amateur Zookeeper
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
Yea my in-law's stopped buying it because their cat kept trying to eat it.
My cats love any kind of grass...but somehow it always ends up on MY floor. Thats right, mine. They're crazy


:p
 

·
Amateur Zookeeper
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
EKKK! Some right now! Better clean that up. And its not even easter :lol:
 

·
I am allergic to maths
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
I cant stand it when my cat puts grass on my floor. My next door neighbour puts fertilizer on her lawn and then my cats eats the grass, then I come home to find hes thrown up foam on my bed! The foam is just because the fertilizer helps to stop moisture so you dont get insects and it causes tico to dehydrate. I have asked her to stop or use a different one but she refuses! My poor cat just carrys on eating it though :rolleyes:
 

·
Amateur Zookeeper
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
of course!

I cant stand it when my cat puts grass on my floor. My next door neighbour puts fertilizer on her lawn and then my cats eats the grass, then I come home to find hes thrown up foam on my bed! The foam is just because the fertilizer helps to stop moisture so you dont get insects and it causes tico to dehydrate. I have asked her to stop or use a different one but she refuses! My poor cat just carrys on eating it though :rolleyes:
Oh my gosh! How crazy, I'm sure that's a great surprise to come home too:rolleyes:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top