Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also links to previous discussions would be great.

I would like to make my own hamster food, and I'm looking for a list of suitable items to put in it. I will have lab blocks and timothy/alfalfa hay pellets, as well as things you can get at bulk food stores, like seeds, oats, etc. But need to know what. Anyone else do this? I'm looking for pointers as well as specifics, and what to avoid. I'll be food pooling with 3 other people with dwarf hamsters.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Since you have a dwarf hamster it's important that you avoid sugary foods since dwarfs tend to be more prone to diabetes. This includes dried fruits (common in a lot of small animal mixes). I would only feed fruits as occasional treats and not include them in the mix itself.

Some other things you can mix in are dried herbs and vegetables (dried carrots are easy to find but don't overdo it...they are high in sugar for a vegetable), high quality dog food, sugar-free cereals, nuts (cashews are good but all nuts should be limited because of fat), and pumpkin seeds.

Remember to offer fresh foods too like vegetables and grasses. Hamsters also need some animal protein in their diet...this can include dog food, dog biscuits, eggs, mealworms, and crickets.

Don't feed citrus fruits, kidney beans, potatoes, onions, garlic, rhubarb, chocolate, foods made for rabbits (because of the antibiotics found in rabbit foods), almonds (because of cyanic acid), eggplant, apple seeds, leeks, scallions, chives, pickles, and iceberg lettuce. That's just a general list of unsafe foods...if you aren't sure if some thing's safe than it's best to not feed it.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
what about that suebee's diet? would that, or a variation on that, be okay sasami?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
what about that suebee's diet? would that, or a variation on that, be okay sasami?
That would work but I wouldn't feed the dried fruits that are usually recommended because of the diabetes risk. You'd also want more seeds than grains and not a lot of sunflower seeds.

Basically, you'd want to feed a version of that diet with less sugar and fat with more seeds :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I've already planned on mixing in a little holistic dog food/biscuits, hay cubes, and dried veggies.... where might I find good dried veggies?

Are there any certain lentils or seeds that may be good?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Thank you! I've already planned on mixing in a little holistic dog food/biscuits, hay cubes, and dried veggies.... where might I find good dried veggies?

Are there any certain lentils or seeds that may be good?

I didn't know there were different kinds of lentils, to be honest :lol:.

Flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds are good :).

The health food store here sells some dried vegetables...you might have to look around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts