Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Just though I would post on here a link to some homemade wheel plans as John Hopewell has none in stock in the UK and Shipping for the American alternative is costly. :mad2:

chinmania.tripod.com/chin_wheels.html

As I’m in the UK I found it difficult to find the nylon rollers needed for it, well they are easy to find but I did not want to pay the £20-25 shipping and handling fee for something that cost me a few £’s. Alternatively you could use Roller Skate wheels but I eventually found some ‘Green house’ rollers on Ebay. They are a little bit smaller so I wouldn’t suggest getting them just yet until I’ve tested them out. Just Search ‘Elite-Greenhouse-door-wheels-32mm’ on Ebay and they should come up. I’m also replacing the bucket with a baking tin once I pop up to ASDA or alike. Anti nibble proof is better.:)

I’ll post pictures once I’ve made it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Theres a few videos on youtube of a guy who made an awesome wheel with a rollerblade wheel and a baking tin, seemed pretty solid and slick! I'll post a link if I can find it again! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my wheel was a success but I had to make a few adjustments to the original plan.

Alterations in equipment/ things needed:

• I used a 20cm anodised cook pan, those used in camping cook sets. Make sure the pan you use has a completely removable handle. The kind that only grips onto the lip.
  • Superglue with brush applicator instead of bolts. I’ll explain below.
  • 2 Nylon rollers instead of one. Again I’ll explain below.

Equipment that has not changed:
( All found in B&Q and probably Wilkinson , Homebase, focus and alike.

• 1 x 2” Long , ¼” Machine screw.
  • 1 x ¼” wing nut.
  • 3 x ¼ ” nuts.
  • 2 x ½” washers.
  • 2 x 2” washers.

The washers in B&Q were under the name “Repair Washer”.

The first problem arose when I tried using the smaller diameter Nylon rollers, I could not find any bolts thin enough to bolt the roller to pan.

So after thinking long and hard I gutted one of the rollers I had spare so that I was left with one plastic ring. No ball bearings or centre piece.

I then Super glued this to the other one I had not gutted. Waiting a good few hours as described on the glue for it to set properly.

Since i had already drilling holes in my pan in an attempt to bolt the roller on I had to cover the holes by super gluing a washer to the back. This may be why the picture may not look like yours. You however wont have to do this.

Then I threaded my machine screw through the centre of the Nylon rollers from the guttered roller side I then attached the nuts to the other side of the untouched roller. I tightened them up with a screwdriver and a spanner. Turn the wheel whilst holding the bolt. If you feel its not moving that freely loosen the bolts a little bit.

I then used my superglue again to fix it to the back and centre of my pan. Again leaving it to set as per instructions. Now I know what your thinking superglue wouldn’t hold but this is tried and tested and if left to set for the full duration in your instructions it will hold. Even at high speed.

Once dried I fixed it to the cage by fist threading a ½” washer and then a 2” washer onto the screw. Then I put the wheel in the cage with the bolt sticking through the cage. I then repeated the process but threading a 2” washer and then a ¼ “ one and fixing the whole thing with the wing nut. and there you are. One solid base Degu wheel. I lined mine with just a strip of masking tape to provide some sort of grip. and because its metal its non chewable and easy to clean.

I wish i could post pictures here but my post count is too low. It really does look great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts