Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a one year old Syrian hamster called piccolo and yesterday I found a hard lump with what can only be called a circular open wound in the middle on his stomach. The vet confirmed it was a tumour today and piccolo is going in to have it removed on Wednesday.

Everything I’ve read on the net is all doom and gloom. Either the hamster doesn’t make it through the operation or the tumour comes back or even if none of that happens they say their hamster dies a few months later anyway.

I absolutely adore piccolo and I can’t bear the thought of losing him. Has anyone had any experience with their hammy having an operation and going on to live a full and healthy life? Any stories would be appreciated as I’m really worried that I might lose him

Thanks
x

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Well, you have to keep in mind that hamsters don't have an enormously long life span to begin with, and many people find tumors on their hamsters when they're 2 years + -- so they ay have only lived a few more months anyway.

I wouldn't be all doom and gloom -- we've had hamsters in our rescue that got tumors removed and went on to live normal and healthy lives. It depends a lot on what type of tumor it is, how big it is and if it's spread, and how skilled a surgeon your vet is. :0

1 - 2 of 2 Posts