Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is turing out to be a tremendously hot summer already and my room happens to be the hottest room in the house. right now I have a fan blowing over ice to try to get the temperature down because my mom doesn't like to keep the air up too high.

I'm planning on getting a small window air conditioning unit for my bedrom and I was just wondering if anyone could make any suggestions on something that will keep a small room cool for my chinnies but also not be too too loud since it is in my bedroom. any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
:) Thing shaped frozen water popsicles.
Dont over feed, it might hurt its teeth at first because its really cold, but overall its just water and it cools them.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
use lots of stones, you can get tile and things that stay cooler for them to sit on. as well as getting dry ice to put infront of the fan. It will get costly over the summer though.

You could get several stones and keep them in the freezer or fridge to put in the cage several times a day for a nice cool thing to lay on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A fan does not cool a room down unless you are blowing cool air in from another area. The cooling effect of a fan is uniqe to mammals like us where chillas and dogs do not sweat so there is so evaporative cooling. Maybe move the chilla to a cooler room or basement. When you start reaching 80's it is dangerous. There are also portable air conditioners but very expensive. Covering the window so less solar heat absorbs in the room is another option to try.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the fan is in front of the vent for the central air so that it circulates around the room more. and also it is blowing over ice set in front of it. I have air conditioning but I want to purchase a window air conditioner to keep it cooler in just my bedroom. does anyone have any advice on a specific air conditioning model if anyone uses one just to cool a small bedroom without being too loud?

·
chinchilla breeder
321 Posts
The only thing that will work is a window ac unit. A fan will not do a whole lot of good with chinchillas unless you are using the fan to bring in cold air. Window ac units aren't very loud at all

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I just got a window ac unit for my bunny room - not sure what brand, except for I know that it's energy star. We have an older version of the same one in our bedroom. I don't think they're that loud. The only part that makes noise is the fan inside the ac, and I'd say it's pretty close to just sounding like a regular fan.

I'm a really light sleeper and after a few nights I got use to the sound of the ac. Now I actually sleep better when it's on than off, the sound of the fan helps to drown out other noises that normally wake me up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think many can reccomend a specific brand. I think your best course it to take the dimentions of the window opening and go to the store. Take a digitial photo of it so you can show who helps you at the store. Most any air conditioner these days will be very effichent and quite. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. You can look at the models they have at the store then come home and research them online for consumer feedback and sleep on it if you want to be real safe.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
:) Thing shaped frozen water popsicles.
Dont over feed, it might hurt its teeth at first because its really cold, but overall its just water and it cools them.
Ice is a big no-go for every animal.
It can actually kill them, when they get such kold things into their bellys.

---

You could make a thing like this:
http://chinchillabladet.dk/index.php?page=lav-et-kolesovehus
You just need to put a cooling element on top of the net.
Your chin will have a nice cool house, and it can't get hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts