Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter is now six months old and was going outside to the bathroom about 80% of the time. We also have a chihuahua but she uses paper, but Dex will not use them.

Then about six weeks ago, we adopted a 18 year old boy, who came with his Shepard/X Cross Kush who is around a year old and fully trained.

Kush & Dexter had been best buddies for a few weeks before Kush moved in, both being puppies and love to play together.

But now it seems as it's all a game to Dexter. We used to praise him and give him doggie treats every time he went outside, but he loves the outside so much, he'd go out, play and come back and expect a treat.

Now that it's warmer we leave the back door open and Dexter will go outside and play, come in and pee or poop on the floor, sometimes right in front of us!!! We yell NO! and put him out side, praise him when he goes but he's being a problem child.

It's really hard to pen Dexter up in a small area like we did before as him and Kush roam and play thru out the house and Kush is 56lbs to Dex's 9.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If there are no medical concerns is it possible that he is just scent marking? Is it the same areas or is it completely random?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there are any medical concerns. He's been to the vet regularly for his shots....I AM begining to wonder if he may have a UTI or something though.....
It's both the same spots and compleatlly random, there's no making sense of this little guy.
He IS not neutered yet, so perhaps that may be it? but pooing too?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't think the poo is a marking thing. He might just be slow at learning the ropes. I have no idea if pee/poo has anything to do with stress but it might be worth looking into.

I have heard that if you feed your dog where it's using the floor (when clean of course) it will discourage it's use as a toilet. A good friend had a problem with her dog pissing on the stairs so she sprinkled breakfast on them and the marking stopped.

I've learned a great deal about my dogs through observations of my home with a certified behaviorist. Perhaps that might give you a game plan to curb this very unwanted behavior.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Dexter is now six months old and was going outside to the bathroom about 80% of the time. We also have a chihuahua but she uses paper, but Dex will not use them.

Then about six weeks ago, we adopted a 18 year old boy, who came with his Shepard/X Cross Kush who is around a year old and fully trained.

Kush & Dexter had been best buddies for a few weeks before Kush moved in, both being puppies and love to play together.

But now it seems as it's all a game to Dexter. We used to praise him and give him doggie treats every time he went outside, but he loves the outside so much, he'd go out, play and come back and expect a treat.

Now that it's warmer we leave the back door open and Dexter will go outside and play, come in and pee or poop on the floor, sometimes right in front of us!!! We yell NO! and put him out side, praise him when he goes but he's being a problem child.

It's really hard to pen Dexter up in a small area like we did before as him and Kush roam and play thru out the house and Kush is 56lbs to Dex's 9.

Any ideas?
Don't allow him to come and go as he pleases. He's not the boss, but he is acting like he thinks he is.

No play time until he potties. You take him out, take him to the designated spot and wait. No playing, potty only. Use a "code word", which he will learn means "this is where you go, and go now". "Potty now Dexter" or whatever. No playing, no nothing until he goes.

If he doesn't go within a reasonable time, take him back inside. No playing inside either. If he is crate trained, crate him then try again in 15 minutes. If you are not crate training, attach him to you. He must go where you go in the house. In 15 minutes, take him out again and wait for him to potty. If he does not, take him back inside and keep him attached to you. And try again, and so on.

If he begins to squat while attached to you, whisk him outside to potty area immediately. Once he's done, of course have a celebration. :)

Since he already KNOWS what he's supposed to be doing, this method should complete his training pretty quickly.

Have you done any obedience training with him? Sounds like he could use some. :)

Read up on Nothing in life is free (NILIF)

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
PS I forgot to add, once he does finally potty outside, THEN he can play. It shouldn't take him long to make the connection.

If you know his habits, timing wise, you can do this training whenever it is time for him to go. After a meal, or when he gets up from his nap, whatever, however often it takes, take him right out and wait for him to go. No playing, until he does. If he doesn't, back inside, tied to you, until the next time. And so on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts