Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted a 6 month old Cavalier(last of the litter) and for six months he was kept in an indoor pen with access to a doggy door to relieve himself. We thought it would be a good idea to install a doggy door and keep up his habit. We transitioned him at home by crating him then letting him use the doggy door. After a month he was doing great with the door but we still have one big problem. Every time it rains, he will not go out the door to go, he is actually afraid to get his feet wet and/or himself wet. So every time it rains, he goes poop or pee in the house but when it is dry out, he has no problems. What can I do about the wet paw syndrome?????

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you could buy him little bootys, or it maybe just a fear of the rain try taking him outside when it rains, with u stand out there with him till he goes.he should eventually catch on

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
My dog is the same way...he hates the rain and never wants to go out in it. When he was a puppy that meant that he'd try to go on the floor inside when it rained. Now that he's older and better bathroom trained, he tries to hold it as long as he can and wait for the rain to stop to go out.

Like Kendalle said - when it's raining you'll probably have to take him out. That's what I had to do with my dog - when it rained I use to have to carry him outside to the grass and stand out in the rain with him until he went to the bathroom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dog is a very picky person! If the ground is wet even the slightest, he dosen't like it. Its the mud and dirtiness on his paws that does it for him. He will hold it as long as he can, and will even head out and do his business while its raining, but you better believe I have to be waiting with a towel to wipe him up afterwords...haha.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think it is not really on the syndrome, my cousin's dog been an indoor dog and just needed few training time to get used to rain and getting wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts