Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Would you wear these shoes?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You think the Japanese would have learnt the first time with the Geisha feet...

Think your shoes are uncomfortable?
The latest rage in Japan ....

Would you wear any of these shoes?

... now look at the kind of 'shoes' that was worn back in the day of the Geisha...

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
I've seen shoes like that before and they are scarey looking.

As for the foot binding, it's a strange custom. What made the split in the woman's foot? I've never seen it that bad before.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've read a bit about foot binding, it makes me so angry and sad to think what the women in those days had to do to themselves and other young girls.:(

·
Aspires to Stupidity
2,312 Posts
I said yes, but not because it's the latest fashion. You should've made a few more options. I like trying new and wierd or unique things, lol. If they would be really ugly on me or uncomfortable than I wouldn't wear them. Comfort comes before fashion for me, but I won't wear something totally hideous no matter how comfy it is (well not in public anyway, lol)

The foot binding thing has always really disgusted me.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
nope...can't wear any heels so that counts it out lol, I will never understand the foot binding process, it just never made since to me

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
OMG thats gross! Why would you wear them if they do that to your feet! Ouch!!!!

I dont do heels at the best of times lol i am a trainers girl!!!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
I can barly walk in high heels!
Ouch, that looks sooo bad!
I have heard of people doing that to their feet, but I never thought it was that bad!
xxxx

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I've seen shoes like that before and they are scarey looking.

As for the foot binding, it's a strange custom. What made the split in the woman's foot? I've never seen it that bad before.

The split comes from breaking the arch of the foot and forcing the sole to the heel of the foot.

These women were trying to achieve the 3 inch golden lotus.If your feet weren't bound you would have pretty much no chance of marring and no chance of marring into wealth and money.A man could call off the arranged wedding if he found out his bride did not have bound feet.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, foot binding was sure a icky, cruel thing to have those girls do. Their mother or grandmother would start the foot wrapping when girls were as young as 4-7 years old before the arch of the foot had a chance to properly develop. It was done repeatedly every two days and was very painful of course. The toenails would keep growing...ouch! It was done only for the mans selfish erotic pleasure later in life...ick.
It was torturous for the women and they would understandably forever have problems with their feet in many different ways. They were prone to infection, paralysis, and muscular atrophy.

Here are some links

http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/China/04/hutchins/hutchins.htm

http://www.indiana.edu/~ealc100/Group3/Foot-Binding.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbinding

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
You kind of have to think what women in the US do though. Seeing the foot binding is strange because it's not done in the US but think about "customary" things are done in the US like ear piercing. Mom's get their baby's ear pierced as soon as they can at like 3 months or something like that. It may not be as extreme as foot binding but there are still risks.
Now the big thing in the US is plastic surgery because magazines and movies and TV show you what you should look like. I am in NO WAY saying that the media is correct, and really I do believe that everyone is beautiful in their own way but I find it sad that some women and men can watch something on TV and think that they need bigger boobs or a nose job.
Foot binding and plastic surgery and ear piercing and tattooing are all physical things and in one way or another are associated with beauty.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I agree that foot binding and ear piercing are very different things and both do carry risks although foot binding causes problems for life and was continuously painful.

I think plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons is pretty silly but it is everyones choice to do it or not. Having a boob job after a mastectomy or having a nose job because you have problems with breathing is a different thing though.
I think it is so sad how nowadays the media makes these young girls believe they have to look a certain way.

With foot binding not everyone wanted to do such a thing to their feet. It was reserved for the most part for the higher class and was imposed on young girls and was done much of the time to keep a woman in her place, or so they thought. It was a barbaric practice that was abolished and with good reason.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts