Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am not having a good night.

I got around to cleaning Squishy's tank tonight, so I hooked up my nifty siphon that attaches to the sink. I usually turn on the water to get the suction going, and shut it off afterwards. I asked my sister to shut the water off for me, but instead she flipped the switch that sends water from the faucet back into the tank. So after a few seconds of wondering why it wasn't vacuuming things very well, I realized that 100-ish degree untreated water was flowing back into my tank. :banghead: I shut off the water, ran downstairs and filled a bucket with cool water, and plopped poor Squishy in it before the water in his tank could hurt him. I poured a couple splashes of water conditioner in my tank too. Luckily I have my siphon hooked to my shower which has a filter in it, so hopefully the chlorine levels were low enough that they didn't totally wipe out all the bacteria and stuff in my tank. :(

Squishy wasn't very happy and he managed to make a mini escape attempt while I was trying to put him back in his tank (Apparently her perfected his carpet-scooting method during his last escape... He can move pretty fast!) but he seems OK now. He is singing and acting perfectly happy.

Should I go get some Safe Start or Cycle to add to my tank tomorrow?? I'm worried that I totally ruined it. :(

I just managed to spill some near-boiling red tea all over my leg and my carpeting too, so I should probably go to sleep before anything worse happens. What a lovely night, hmm?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is doing fine, he doesn't seem bothered at all... I'm lucky that ACF are very forgiving!

I did buy some Cycle that I added to the tank. It is probably a good idea to have anyway, since I have to clean out my filter so thoroughly.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, ACFs are pretty hardy and I don't think you would have killed all of your bacteria so easily :). I'm sure some died, yeah, but the tank is well established and the population will recover. Just watch your water parameters.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank you! That's reassuring. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds like nothing wrong damaged done at all, your Squishy is very lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts