Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my dogs love the outdoors so much, I was thinking of leaving them in a large run/kennel type thing while I'm at work (we will be growing food outside and my roommate has grazing guinea pigs in a run.)

I have specifically looked at buying one because I believe the boys can climb chain link (and just don't right now....) Either way, I don't want to take the risk of someone getting out and harassing any rabbits or guinea pigs that may be out grazing.

I was looking at two modular runs but not sure which one to go with. I have looked at other kennels and did some research and everywhere I go I feel like I'm being guilt tripped to buy the biggest one. I know dogs need space (and I have three of them) so...here is what I came up with.

One is 5' x 10' and the other 10' x 10' (both 6' tall.) If I find the material to build them then I will construct it myself (these are welded mesh - powder coated which I am a big fan of.) On top of that, they have a 2" clearing on the bottom so I can easily clean underneath with a hose or something.

What do you guys think?

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about building the wired fence so you can just let them run out as freely as they could..
Because all of the landlords that I have checked with aren't cool with me putting up fencing and such. They would like to keep fencing the way it is. Any add ons must be removable.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I know you'd rather hear actual dimensions but I agree with Purple-Hops...go as big as is affordable/practical :).

And as you've probably guessed, you're going to want to watch them the first several times. Some dogs are amazing escape artists. I can't remember the breeds you have but I know one of your dogs is a Dachshund/Terrier mix---he (or she? sorry) is going to need fencing that's partially underground to prevent easy digging. Both breeds are serious diggers. My Dachshund's run was on concrete for that reason :lol:.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And as you've probably guessed, you're going to want to watch them the first several times. Some dogs are amazing escape artists. I can't remember the breeds you have but I know one of your dogs is a Dachshund/Terrier mix---he (or she? sorry) is going to need fencing that's partially underground to prevent easy digging. Both breeds are serious diggers. My Dachshund's run was on concrete for that reason :lol:.
I'm not sure anymore. I took her to have her spayed and even though I listed her as dachshund x terrier, the vet ruled out against her being any sort of terrier mix at all (so just a funky wire dachshund x chihuahua...I guess.)

Anyway...Spyro is an escape artist when it comes to going over or under. He managed to bend back a chain link fence that had a pole under it (to prevent going under) ON concrete and still got out haha. He is truly a master. Loki is awesome and twisting his way through small spaces. It is another reason I'm trying to avoid chain link...my boys alone can escape through them. Luna is all bark. Her chihuahua kicks in when she enters the outside world. Right now I'm working with her because she fears leaving the yard and will pull back on the leash till we are out of the driveway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.