Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned one degu before but that was a few years ago, and I bought him from a small local store so I knew he wasn't neutered.

I now have a new degu named Boxwood, and I'm looking at getting a female but I don't want to end up with puppies. I bought Box from a larger chain pet store where they neuter basically everything, but I forgot to ask if he was neutered when I bought him.

Is there any way to tell for sure if he's had the surgery? I don't know if there is any visible difference. Will a vet be able to tell?

How much does it usually cost to get a degu neutered if I have to do it?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Degus are rarely neutered and I've never heard of a pet store doing it. Your vet should be able to tell, I'd think :).

As for the cost, it'll depend a lot on your area and the vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't sure because this pet store has large quantities of certain animals living together and they neuter almost everything.

I just want a female degu without having a million babies. xD

Knowing my luck, the nearest small animal vet is at least an hour away. >.>
Thanks!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I wasn't sure because this pet store has large quantities of certain animals living together and they neuter almost everything.

I just want a female degu without having a million babies. xD

Knowing my luck, the nearest small animal vet is at least an hour away. >.>
Thanks!
You could just consider getting another male ;). And have you tried calling up the store to see if they usually neuter their degus?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If its a male and has indeed been neutered the degu would be without its boys, as it is with most male animals.... some vets with give you a choice with sugar gliders (with or with out sacs).

·
Registered
381 Posts
If its a male and has indeed been neutered the degu would be without its boys, as it is with most male animals.
Some vets will give you a choice with sugar gliders (surgery, with or with out sac removed).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.