Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some rats really bad! :)!! they're really cute, but mainly their attitude is just what im looking for in a pet!! :D! but, my mom doesnt like rats and doesnt want one in the house, especially more than one... :(! I got 3 books on rats and have been reading them a bunch, then telling her about them. i have odne a lot of research on the internet, and even wrwote a book on them that she read! but she still isnt convinced that they aren't like the wild ones on the streets in new york and stuff. how do i convince her that she is totally wrong on rats, and to convince her to let me get one? :confused::confused:. i have enough money to get all the things needed for the rats, including the rats. any advice?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well the first thing to consider is whether your mom just dislikes rats or if she has a rat phobia. If someone has an animal phobia it's much harder to get them past it and not necessarily fair to force them to occupy the same space with that animal. When I was a kid I managed to convince my mom to let me have a snake, but she was totally freaked and uncomfortable the whole time it was in the house. Really not fair!

If you think she just doesn't care for them, there are some particular facts that might help like domesticated rats are different from wild rats just like domesticated dogs are different from wolves, and they have been domesticated as pets for hundreds of years and at one time were frequently kept by Spanish royalty and nobility. They are less likely to bite than just about any other pet including all of the other pocket pets. The females especially are very clean and actually even pretty easy to litter train. They actually groom themselves just like a cat, etc, etc.

But I think the most effective thing is to give someone a different rat experience than they are expecting. That's the way I've brought most people over to the rat side. Find a friend or even a pet store that has a friendly rat and take your mom to see it. She'll see that it's gentle and non-aggressive. She'll probably even see it groom and bathe itself. She can touch it and see they're soft and cuddly just like any other mammal pet, not slimy or gross. It might give her a totally different impression.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same issue.. my sister wants a rat, but the people she is living with aren't having it. They have the incorrect assumptions that "all rats have rabies," "rats attract wild vermin into the house," "they're dirty," "they're no fun/unsociable," etc. They won't even give her a chance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey animallover... I uploaded some pictures for you to see and show your mom.. also there are lots of links in my thread to show your mom..

I am only one example of many, many you can find to show your parents they are loving little animals. Domestic rats that is.. i like the example i read above.. domestic rats are like domestic dogs... you would not want a wild wolf would you? yet wolves and dogs are similar.. like domestic rats and wild rats.. Also make sure your parents are all for it if you convince them.. I would hate to see you get a couple little furry guys then your parents say to get rid of them.. It would break my heart... Good luck my friend.

Scroll down to see the pictures...
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/hectors-official-thread-60363.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
james, thank you so much! I will deffinetley show her! :) I like that example to, it makes perfect sense. I'll mention that when I talk to her about it next time! Also, she actually just dislikes rats. She doesnt have rat phobia. I know that because I showed her my friend's rat and she actually held it! Afterwords she said that they are not as bad as she thought! But I think she forgot about that... I think I will just show her again and see what she thinks. Thanks for the advice everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts