Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog, Ginger, is 11 years old and has never had a flea problem before. She is on Frontline and I have given her a flea bath twice in the last week and she still has fleas. What's going on??

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
I hear if using Frontline (or other spot ons) to switch off between that and other topicals because the resident pests may become immune. So if you're into using chemicals, I'd switch between Frontline and another spot on like Advantage or k9 Advantix.

As for a quick cure...have you treated your home/yard lately? When I used chemicals, I used a home spray that killed and prevented ants, fleas, ticks, spiders, mites, and helped prevent flies. It worked and my pets were fine even if I skipped a dose of spot on.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
theres diffrent shampoos you can try for fleas as well.that most petshops or pet supply stores sell

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Yorkie had this problem just few months ago. i literally was going nuts but i bought this dog shampoo from Hartz-rid flea and thick. on the back it says not to use more than once a week but i washed him every 3 days. kept washing him in that shampoo for about 2-3 minutes. Try using that. Most of the time he was still caged so i didnt have to worry about fleas all over the house. i'd change his pad in his cage few times a day, vaccuumed underneath it also few times a day. i also bought this carpet spray. it doesnt smell all that great and had to keep the dog away for few mins. after spraying the area where his cage would be. And the flea drops once a month help too. its a lot of work but it paid off after about 3 weeks of intense care and cleaning. i bought it all at walmart and it worked. good luck!!!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Frontline has stopped working in many areas, including where I live. Try another topical like K9 Advantix.

I would also give your dog a Capstar pill. They're cheap and will kill any fleas currently on your dog, giving you a head start. Also make sure you spray the house and vacuum regularly (immediately emptying the vacuum bag after).

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
yep, like Stephanie said- dont forget to empty out the vacuum everytime!!!! Your dog could pick up some fleas from other dogs or just wild animals running over your yard could leave some behind them. Thats what i believe at least that happen to my rambo.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
if you have the spray spray it in the running vacuum as well. I use k9 advantix now cause frontline wasn't working for me. But beware it can kill cats. And the box says it in like 700 places.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Kill or destroy the source, trees and plants around are their habitat so hiring someone to fog them out may help a lot..

·
Registered
1 Posts
When my cat had fleas we gave her a bath in Dawn dish soap and it killed them instantly. I would give that a try on your dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts