Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since we all have pets, I am wondering what do you use or what do you do to keep your house smelling good?
My rattie doesn't smell very much but our bathroom water has sulfur in it and it smells like rotten eggs! it's so embarrassing when guests come over because it smells like someone just used the bathroom!
I use incense sometimes, but the smell is so strong i'm scared it might be upsetting for the rat!
so what are your tricks?

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
My rooms smells fruity from the gecko food and the litter box stinks up the house.

I use dishes of baking soda place around (under furniture, on top of cabnits etc...) same with small dishes of white vinegar.

A bucket of very cold water placed in the middle of a room an also help freshen up the room. The water will be unfit to drink afterwards.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
you can put those fridge packs of backing soda in the bathroom just hide it in something so it is pretty.

a lump of charcoal would work as well.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I use fabric sprays on the furniture (you can get pet safe ones) and inscense.I used to use scented candles,until the cats decided they knew how to get up on the mantel where I kept the candles (have not yet found a safe place for the candles since).I also use baking soda.

How does a bucket of water work?

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I use fabric sprays on the furniture (you can get pet safe ones) and inscense.I used to use scented candles,until the cats decided they knew how to get up on the mantel where I kept the candles (have not yet found a safe place for the candles since).I also use baking soda.

How does a bucket of water work?

I have no clue. It just makes the room feel fresher I guess.

I tried it once and I felt as though the room felt cleaner but that could just be because I am crazy and imagining things. You would have to try it for your self. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I have no clue. It just makes the room feel fresher I guess.

I tried it once and I felt as though the room felt cleaner but that could just be because I am crazy and imagining things. You would have to try it for your self. :)
Maybe I will! I have to do some cleaning this week,so I just might try that! :D

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Place a pitcher of cold water on a table in your room and it will absorb all the gasses with which the room is filled from the respiration of those eating or sleeping in the room. Very few realize how important such purification is for the health of the family, or, indeed, understand or realize that there can be any impurity in the rooms; yet in a few hours a pitcher or pail of cold water -- the colder the more effective -- will make the air of a room pure, but the water will be entirely unfit for use.

http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/house-cleaning-tips.html

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Thats really interesting,as I never heard of it before.
Time to test it! :D

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
I use candles in my room and air it out when it stinks by opening the window (when it isn't breezy for my mice's sake) And I spray febreze on the bed and air too. But I am looking forward to trying some of these non-chemical things too :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i can't really use a bucket of water since my problem is that the water stinks rotten eggs! haha
I still haven't bought anything, don't have time with all the homework!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
i can't really use a bucket of water since my problem is that the water stinks rotten eggs! haha
I still haven't bought anything, don't have time with all the homework!
Thats nasty...why does it smell like that?
Is there anyway it can be fixed? You don't drink it,do you?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's sulfur like canadian critter said!
It's actually good for you, spas have sulfur showers which smell even worse because they're very concentrated, it makes your hair soft and shiny, etc...
but it just stinks!

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I use candles in my room and air it out when it stinks by opening the window (when it isn't breezy for my mice's sake) And I spray febreze on the bed and air too. But I am looking forward to trying some of these non-chemical things too :)

A better alternative to spraying Febreze in your room (esp. on your bed) is sprinkle sodium bicarbonate (a.k.a baking soda) on your bed, leave for a few minutes, brush off and then vacuum.

Its much safer then spraying chemicals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.