Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i am new here and this is my first post :)

I would really like to start training my dog better so what are your tips and tricks. I also found a pretty neat video keek.com/jwilson/keeks/PDcaaab of some type of dog competition?!?! How much time would it take to get my dog to this level?

Sorry for the link it wouldn't let me post a normal link unless i had 20 posts.....but i really wanted to show you. PS not my video :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hi and Welcome. :)

Training your dog is not a one time thing. To train your dog you need patience, a lot of it, and the desire to succeed. Your dog will do the rest. Dogs are willing to try anything once to please his master. If you encourage a trick with postive reinforcers (treats, praise, toys) you increase the chances of that behaviour happening again.

And the process never ends. My dog is 14 and the key to keeping an old dog happy and keen is to encourage his training. I ask him to do his tricks and challenge him to new boundaries on the street at night.

Training is definitely rewarding, I didn't copy and paste your link (sorry), just love your dog and see what you can come up with. A good bond is key. Always know and appreciate his attempts to please you.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Don't you have dog training school there? Maybe you can enroll him on basics to see how he would like it and experts there could give tips and evaluation about your dog. I think it worth it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pet Safety

Most dogs live with people who want them to behave in ways that make them pleasant to be around, keep them safe, and provides for the safety of other humans and pets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Training is definitely a long term thing, it's as much of a training for the owner s the dog. Dogs fall into their old habits if you don't keep it up. But to help to get thing started and to get you into training mode, classes and lessons might help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look up Obedience classes in your area and contact local trainers you could work with. An understanding of training, even basic training, is essential when owning a dog. An understanding of dog behavior is also extremely important. I would suggest taking a look at dog books on DOGWISE . COM and purchasing a few. Look at basic training first and DVDs would also be helpful for you.

After taking the step of taking basic Obedience or puppy classes many doors open for you. You can get into advanced Obedience or rally Obedience, and agility, which is a lot of fun!

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts