Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get some gerbils :) , but don't know how many will be able to fit in what size cage. how many would live happily in a 20, 30, or 40 gallon tank? :eyebrow:

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
10 gallons per gerbil is the best rule of thumb more could probably fit but not as happily

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The American Gerbil Society recommends a minimum of 10 US gallons for 1 to 2 gerbils, and 1 extra gerbil per 5 extra US gallons after that.

However, I'd go for a minimum of 20 US gallons for 1 to 2 gerbils, and preferably an extra 10 US gallons for each gerbil after that. Pretty much like Elliriyanna said :) In a 30 gallon tank I'd say 4 maximum, for a 40 I'd say 5 maximum. Bigger is always better though!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I wouldn't even put my mouse in a ten gallon UGH that really bothers me that thats the rule

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i deffinetley wouldnt put 1 or 2 gerbils in a 10 gallon! i'll probably get a 30 gallon or 35 gallon, because thats the largest that id be able to fit. so id get either 2 or 3 gerbils :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you think that's bad, I have a hamster book that says 10 US Gallons is okay for 4 adult dwarf hamsters!

Europeans have higher recommendations, of course. One dutch site says 15 US Gallons for 1 or 2 gerbils, 30 US Gallons for 4 to 8 gerbils. Another dutch site says 15 US Gallons for 1 to 2 gerbils, and an extra 5 US Gallons per extra gerbil. In Austria, a tank for gerbils has to be 50 US Gallons minimum by law. And Germany recommends 65 US Gallons.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I like the last two :) But I think the 20 for 2, 30 for 3 and so forth is more realistic and would make them happier than the standards set up most places

ALSO they need very deep bedding metal wheels but not the bar type and you should put in things to chew daily

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah :) i would never put 4 dwarf hamsters in a 10 gallon tank. thats terrible!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I would never put 1 dwarf in a ten gallon ... or a mouse even

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it isnt good enough ventilation for them anyways

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Thats my main issue I wish they would make a tank with hard mesh built into the sides .. I would buy it ... Clarity AND ventilation

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes!! that would be awesome, i would buy it too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That would be so awesome, someone should make one :D A cheap one! A 20 US Gallon (long) tank is about £40 here new, that's about $65 :(

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
ours are $31 without the top with the top its about $45

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
id probably get the tank at petsmart, and then rescue the gerbils. i dont know how much they are at petsmart.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
35 for the tank( 20 long) 15 -20 for the topper or you can just get one on craigslist

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i MIGHT get one on craigslist, but I'll probably just get it at petsmart like i said :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts