Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy the Summer Lodge Double Hutch by Sharples N Grant for my future guinea pigs from Pets at Home. I can't post links yet because of my post count, but if you Google it you should see it :)

It's almost exactly 4 ft x 2 ft, and it's 5 ft tall. It has two storeys, so floor space is about 16 square feet.

I'm wondering how many pigs would thrive in this environment. I've heard a lot of different suggestions, so I'm looking to get an average. We'll probably go for girls, if that makes any difference.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
guineapigcages.com is great for determining cage size for how many pigs ...

You are not planning on having them outside are you?

Guinea pigs are ground animals like hamsters the second level should be not far above the first and have a very gradually sloping ramp.

i would say 2-3 though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked that site but it says nothing about multi-storey cages and whether the upper level(s) count so I thought I'd ask here.

Unfortunately it's not my choice, my mum wants them outside :( Which is why I'd make sure they got a lot of time in the house away from the weather. Luckily we don't have extreme weather in the UK, and it rarely gets VERY cold or VERY hot. Of course, it's not the ideal but it's out of my hands.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
No offense but IMO if you can't house then properly which includes in your home maybe you should wait to get them and I would count the second level but maybe that's just me

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Oh ok Sorry I just misunderstood...WELL if they insist at least find a way to regulate the temp and I would only put a same sex pair in it :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my mum definitely doesn't want any babies! Her immediate reaction when she found out I got two robos was "they better not breed" haha. Luckily they were both girls :)

I have been looking into ways to make the hutch more "weather proof". They'd be on a balcony, the sides of which would prevent any strong winds from reaching the hutch so that's one good thing. And of course we'd be getting a waterproof cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts