Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
I only have the 2 rats right now... lol. But I'm a new rat mommy, so I'm positive that number will grow in the near future!

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I have 4 and am getting a CN for them soon :D Lots of toys :D I think this is my max I love it 2 boys 2 girls :) ( boys neutered of course.)

· Registered
236 Posts
We have 3 right now Hector, Whiskers & Robin.. and going to get 2.. maybe 3 more on Nov 5.. thats when loveboyrats's new liter will be ready.. I cant wait!!!

· Registered
236 Posts
Right now? Over 50...but I have more losses in my future as I have 6 between 21-24 months, 13 between 25-29 months, and 3 elderlies at 30 months plus.

HOLY cheese wheel Batman!!! Over 50 rats??? Wow... how do you have time for all of them?

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
HOLY cheese wheel Batman!!! Over 50 rats??? Wow... how do you have time for all of them?
Its my 2nd job, my labour of love. I take in the needy, the unwanted, the elderly, the sick, the rats being dumped out doors, the hormonal males that only need neuters to make them lovely happier boys, etc.

A ton of work, but no family here to distract me, just me and them, and a supporting team of friends, transporters, fosters, etc.

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
Shocking that Lilspaz has so many isn't it? It floors me. I only have six, and I don't WANT any more than six. It takes all the time and energy I can spare to care for my six properly. LOL

If you guys don't mind, I've got the urge and am going to just jump in here for a minute with a topic hijack and sing some praises for this lady for anyone who doesn't know what it is she does. She won't say any of what I'm going to say, because she isn't interested in saying it or having any kind of notoriety.

Speaking as someone who doesn't rescue, and doesn't have any kind of true altruistic bone in my body with animals (I like them, I love keeping them, but I keep them for my own selfish purposes, not for the sake of the animal itself) Lilspaz is both a rarity and a treasure to this community.

99.9 percent of people who have 50 plus rats are going to be in over their heads because of the sheer cost of keeping rats in a humane and quality care way. The other one percent is going to be the rare quality rescue--of which in my humble opinion, I am personally aware of no more than 5 in the US and Canada who fall under quality--or well, Lilspaz. I'm sure there are a few more that I just am unaware of, so it isn't meant as a slight. I can only share about what I know.

Lilspaz is almost unique and a celebratory in the grassroots ratty world.

In what is a calling and a passion, she is a true crusader in the best sense of the word. Near as I can tell, she spends all of her time money and energy to helping not only unwanted rats, but rats that not even rat lovers want. She freely and often thanklessly offers hard earned advice-which she earned from years of work, education, and heartbreak-to anyone who asks.

More than a simple rescue, which would focus it's energy in finding homes for the rats who are considered adoptable, she provides a haven primarily for hard luck cases as well and has done this extensively for years. She takes in unwanted elderly rats. She takes in hopeless temperament issues, and hopeless health issues. She spends hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars on individual rats almost every single month.

Then she spends her valuable time online (which is another part of her uniqueness and why I even know of her) with the sole purpose of educating owners for the love of the rats, and offering wisdom and advice to all who ask. For free.

She provides stories of each and every one of her rats in an effort to show the love even the least loved of rats has to offer. And sometimes as cautionary tales to people who think they can get, keep, or even breed rats without educating themselves and/or taking responsibility for them once they have them or start breeding them.

It's an uphill battle because too many people (myself included) just don't value animals, let alone the 'cheap disposable' rat to think it worthwhile to do the minimum amount of necessary homework on keeping them or sometimes breeding them.

I don't know her, but I adore her for what she does and the example she sets. The bar has been set high with her. I know for a fact she has made me a better animal owner than I otherwise would have been.

My little praisefest is done. Please return to your regularly scheduled thread. Ahm....I have six boys.

· Registered
236 Posts
I agree with every word you said StoryKeeper!!! I think I said in another thread.. but I will say it again.. I wish I lived near her so I could help her!!

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I am only at 8 now.

I usually have numbers ranging between 10-18,depending. I once had over 30 and it is A LOT of work. 8 is a good number for me right now.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Storyseeker, excellent post and wow, I am sure you spoke for every member of this forum who has had the privilege of Lilspaz's advice and knowledge. Lilspaz, you are an inspiration and I just don't know how you do it, but I am so glad that you are out there saving the lil furry ones and giving them a second chance at life. My husband and I are both always astounded at your passion and all the energy and heartache, tears, sweat, blood, money and everything else you must go through that the rest of us can only imagine.

I always fancied myself such an awesome Rat Mommy and loved it when my husband said, "You are the best Rat Mommy of all time!" and then after patting myself on the back over my mommy skills, I would stop and realize that I was a mommy to TWO boys. That is it. Not 50 plus, not rat rescues, half wilds, chronically ill rats, and all the rest, and it would HUMBLE me greatly, every time.

None of us have a clue as to the sheer amount of work and passion you put into the rats. So all I can do is to say a huge THANK YOU to you. Even more important than our thanks, is that I know the rats all thank you. That must be the best reward for you. :heart:
AND, thank you so much for stopping by this forum to offer your wisdom...we are always grateful to hear from you. I hope you stay on this forum for many years to come. Love you.

· Registered
236 Posts
Well said Vlad... Well said.

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
I am only at 8 now.

I usually have numbers ranging between 10-18,depending. I once had over 30 and it is A LOT of work. 8 is a good number for me right now.
I love that range. Enough for endless entertainment, not too many to snuggle them all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.