Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to add a little more variety to my guinea pigs diet. I’m hoping to add spinach to their diet twice a week. I was just wondering how much to add. I don’t want to add too much. Does anyone have any idea about how many leafs to add? One is a female skinny about 2 ½ years and the other is an almost 5 year old overweight neutered albino. I’m not sure if that matters or not.

Right now they are getting 1 cup daily of:
Baby carrot (half each)
Boston lettuce
Cilantro
Escarole
Red leaf lettuce

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
I give my guinea pig 4 different types of hay 1 Zupreem western timothy hay 2 Oxbow Organic Meadow Hay 3 Oxbow botanical hay 4 Oxbow orchard hay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue NJ

One to two leaves a week, max, on the spinach. It can cause renal (kidney) problems, even failure, for your piggies down the road. I checked this with my vet :) And they don't produce their own Vit. C so we recommend the Vit. C drops (2-3 drops a day, you can buy this at your pet food store).

Kelly

·
Registered
33 Posts
One to two leaves a week, max, on the spinach. It can cause renal (kidney) problems, even failure, for your piggies down the road. I checked this with my vet :) And they don't produce their own Vit. C so we recommend the Vit. C drops (2-3 drops a day, you can buy this at your pet food store).

Kelly

Good post Kelly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Spinach is ok but as a random diet because it has a very high content of oxalate acid which can build up in the body and cause disease and it has a high in calcium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts