Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was doing my research on the parrot I want, there was something mentionned that Teflon non stick cookware fumes are deadly for birds. I only have that non stick pots and pans...how you guys do for cooking with the non stick without putting the bird's like in danger? Please help..... Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sassy said:
Scented candles are also bad for birds.
That is a very good thing to know...I'm a big fan of scented candles so I'll have have to limit using them upstaires only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sassy said:
Personally, I would rather replace the pots and pans then risk something happening to my birds.
Yes, that is what I am thinking of doing. Is there a way of knowing if the non-stick pans I have is Telfon? I know one of my pans is Telfon but not the others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Very nasty, we dont allow it in our home- period. Some hair dryers, space heaters, and many other appliances have teflon. Thousands of birds have been lost due to *simple* mistakes like using teflon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
Most non-stick have teflon of some sort, I believe. Teflon is a brand, but the chemical is mostly the same, from what I understand.
 

·
Member formerly known as MistyLea21
Joined
·
332 Posts
The only scented candles that are bad are ones with lead in the wick. A lot of new companies have stopped making scented candles with lead in the wick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
hmmmm I was on the understanding that is was the chemicals used to scent them. I know a lot of candles have lead in the wicks, not just scented ones. Those plug in type things are bad too, like the Glade and the pet odor ones from Petsmart.
 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
If it says "Non-stick" Don't buy it or use it..

It gives off a colorless odorless gas that kills birds in minutes...no warning, no second chances. This isn't something we think will happen, it has happened to many bird owners.

I use some stainless steel, but for most of my cooking I use Calphalon "Anodized" Aluminum. NOT the Calphalon Non-stick!

Hard anodized aluminum is non-reactive, so you can cook anything in it, and it has a tough coating that is stick resistant. Check out some of the stuff on Amazon dot com and they have some great stuff as much as 70% off right now!

But whatever you get, Lose the non-stick.

That also goes for any appliances like waffle irons, George Foreman grills, cookie sheets, muffin pans ...Whatever. If it goes in the oven or on the stove lose it. Even some teapots have non-stick interiors. People have forgotten they put the water on, it all boiled out and the pot heated up. It released the gas and birds died.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
AmandaB said:
hmmmm I was on the understanding that is was the chemicals used to scent them. I know a lot of candles have lead in the wicks, not just scented ones. Those plug in type things are bad too, like the Glade and the pet odor ones from Petsmart.
http://www.realmacaw.com/pages/candles.html
http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html
http://www.lafeber.com/Lafeber-Library/Articles/wright/toxic.asp


Regarding lead wicks:
The National Candle Association says there is an easy way to test whether a candle has a lead core wick: Take an ordinary piece of white paper and rub it on the tip of an un-burnt wick. If the wick leaves a light grey pencil-like mark, it has a lead core. No mark, however, and the candle is lead-free.
http://www.snopes.com/toxins/leadwick.htm
 

·
Obsessed With Turtles
Joined
·
3,463 Posts
Jade that 2nd page is a GREAT resource to have thanks!!

Also thanks to everyone else for all the information. I knew that teflon is a fatal danger to birds (& most small animals too if I understand right) as are candles.... in regards to candles though; I have been told that PartyLite candles are not dangerous to birds, even the scented ones, because they use less chimicals & burn the cleanest & smoke free... does anyone know more about truth in that?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Don't forget about cleaning products, we clean with elbow grease and vinager. There are some special organic cleaning things you can get but they are VERY expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok thanks for all that info. How long does the Teflon fumes stay in the house? If the bird is in a different level of my house from the kitchen level while cooking with non-stick, is that safe enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,706 Posts
My vet told me that people using teflon products in an apartment below them has killed birds, so I wouldn't risk it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
We don't use non-stick. We use old iron skillets. They are the best. How do you tell if a hairdryer has teflon on it?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top