Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

How to catch a cat?

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Seige 
#1 ·
My in-laws own a rental property about a block from where they live now. they're getting ready to sell it and so the renters are gone and the house is vacant except for a small cat/kitten that was abandoned by both sets of previous owners. I haven't been over to see the cat but my mother-in-law says it's very skittish but seems friendly. I'm concerned about the cat, I don't know if it's male or female and I'm sure that either way it's not fixed. I'm wondering what is the best way to get this cat to trust us (the MIL and me.) I want to get it checked out by a vet and fixed and hopefully find a good home for it. (I kind of want to keep it...) I do not own cats, I have never owned a cat (I'm allergic). So I'm wondering if you cat owning paw-talkers have any suggestions for me.

#2 ·
Depending on how long its been living on its own, it will probably take a lot of time for it to really trust you, let alone catch it. Best way in my opinion, besides using a humane trap, is to try and lure it to you with food. Maybe set the food 10 feet from you and just sit there and see if the cat will come eat that close to you. And then move the food closer and closer to you.

As for you being allergic to cats and possibly wanting to keep it, I am also allergic to cats, but I have always had cats. I take an allergy pill (zyrtec is the only one that works for me) every day, and I never have any sort of reaction to the cats. It took a few days of it to kick in, but after that I haven't had any problems.

#3 ·
My MIL has been leaving food for it and I guess it's gotten pretty close to her a few times. The renters have only been gone a month or two so I think it's still fairly used to people, we have high hopes about catching it by befriending it rather than setting a trap.

As for the allergies. I've always been highly allergic, I puff up, if the cat's not really clean I'll break out in hives because if the dander I have a Hydrocortizone cream and I take Allegra My husband is also allergic but not as much as me. The other main concern is we own two rather large dogs. I know we could socialize the puppy to a cat because we've had him sice he was eight weeks and he's not entierly sure what a cat is as he's never really been near them. My concern is the 10 year old Lab we adopted I'm not sure how he would react to a cat so me may try some soft socialization with my sister in law's cat, who is declawed and used to living with dog.Nelix would be in his harness ans my husband would have full control over him but really it's all moot point unless we can catch the little guy.

#5 ·
My mother is allergic too, but once you are around the same animal for awhile, you get used to it, and aren't exactly allergic...if that makes sense. :p PICS?

#6 ·
I will try to get pics but so far the cat is hiding under the porch every time we try to find it. On a good note, it seems to be warming up to my MIL it came close enough to sniff her hand so we may catch it by befriending after all.

#8 ·
I have class 3 allergy to cats and there are 3 at my parents home. I also take zyrted when I go home and i'm totally fine, after a while staying there i don't need the meds anymore because your body gets used to them. I started being allergic the last year of high school because I went to school far from the house and saw the cats less, my body was less in contact and I started reacting.
My friend took allegra before for her allergy to cats (she owns one) and I told her to try zyrtec. She said she sneezed more with zyrtec but it worked better than allegra because her nose was less stuffy and she had less reactions.

You could try zyrtec and see if you can keep the kitty a few weeks, and if it doesn't work out you still have time to find it a new loving home :)

#9 ·
Awesome i have a prescription for Allegra but that's mostly for my hay fever. I have cortizone cream to use in case any contact with a cat should cause me to break out in hives so maybe I'll pick up some Allegra next time I'm at the pharmacy.

Still haven't gotten it to come too close to me but I'm headed over there not to bring some food (tuna) and hopefully get some pics.

#11 ·
I'm going to post pictures of her (I'm pretty sure it's a her) Than I'll give you the latest on the situation.

#12 ·
We got to the house and I spotted her right away she was hiding over by a large Lilac tree in the corner of the property. I had a can of tuna with me and I managed to get fairly close to her before I sat down and started scooting across the grass so I didn't startle her. I got really close I pet a little while she ate the tuna. She didn't seem skinny or afraid of people.

After about a half an hour in the yard she jumped the fence and was wandering the neighbor's yard. I have a suspicion the neighbors are caring for her because she was on their porch and playing with their cat. I'm going to keep an eye on her over the next week or so and if I'm sure they've adopted her and she's in a good situation I'll let her be.

#13 ·
ahhh at least shes got u keepin an eye on her,some people just seem to ignore all knowledge of them! as somepoe said before it does take time for them to adapt to a "home" life,ive been feedin a stray for 5 years now,had him checked out at the vets when he came home with a nasty wound on his face,castrated the lot an the min i get him home he's gone! god knows where i only see him here an there sometimes not for a day or so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.