Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally got Blitzen's new toys and he loves all of them except the kong. I put his treats in it and he only tried for about 10 min to get them out. And then he gave up completely, I even tried putting different kinds..but each time it was about 10 min. How can I make the kong more interesting for him so he plays/ tries to get the treats out for hours?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
the classic kong? are you putting peanut butter or cream cheese in it?

I filled messi's up with wet food, then froze it he liked that

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
peanut butter or the like is a must for the kong because it makes it challenging for him/her to get every morsel of it out.. it wears them out because of all the intense licking action. Very good for pups with too much energy

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Yeah if you're just using treats, I'd try something like peanut butter or wet food. Then the dog can taste the treat without being able to get it all out right away, but being able to taste it I think keeps them interested. If you just put a treat inside and they can't get it at all I can see how they'd loose interested.

For my dog, if I want to use a regular treat in his kong, I'll put the treat in first then cover it with a layer of peanut butter. If you freeze it for awhile after that, it makes the peanut butter take longer to lick out. Wet food works just as well if you don't want to give your dog too much junk food.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Coco only got interested in Kong a couple months ago. He doesn't like peanut butter anymore (bc of medicine) so I was putting in pieces of people food that he liked, such as pie crust, cheese or peices of garlic bread. Just small enough morsels to get him interested. He prefers hard treats and has learned to pick up Kong and drop it on the floor and watch closely for the pieces to fall out!! lol

I hope you have more luck with Mastie!!!!! Like the others said, something to make him work at like peanut butter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When Noah has a treat still stuck in his he brings it to me so I can help dig it out. It's aways gross but the things I do must mean I'm in love.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my step mom uses peanut butter in hers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts