Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dearest Luna...

I wasn't sure about her at first but I couldn't return her if I wanted to. Loki has bonded so closely with her that the two spend almost every minute together.

The only thing that bugs me about her is her wonderful glossy fur. I don't have the slightest clue how to groom it.

My dogs are never professionally groomed because my boyfriend is allergic and we use special products so he can snuggle with them. I checked online and some people say that they only have their terriers (or wire doxies) professionally groomed twice a year which is fine...I just don't know why they do it. I also read about stripping...how do I do that?

Right now I only have tools that I needed for my boys (a pin brush, a bristle brush, and an LH furminator.) Do I need anything else?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
hand stripping is very tedius and time consuming, mostly for show dogs. Many just trim wire hair coats such as schnauzers. The furminater works well on my schnauzer yorkie mix. I'm not sure if you need to do something else because of the allergies. My boyfriend has mild allergies for high shedding dogs but shows no reaction to my dog or poodles.

I would use a anti shedding shampoo and bathe more often than for a dog with an owner with out allergies.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hm, my little wire coat terrier is not hard to groom. It depends on the coat too, don't some have a thick undercoat?? Coco has a smooth undercoat so I brush him twice a week or whenever he needs it with a wire bristle brush and sometimes I graze him with the Zoom Groom (which is bunny's). Other than that, sitting down massaging him usually lets loose hairs off too :) Try vacuuming him too :p Coco likes it and it helps loosen old skin bits.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no don't think she had a thick undercoat or anything...just all wire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts