Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lyla is about to pop. I bought a 20 gallon aquarium. How do I create the perfect place for her to nest and have the babies? What bedding should I use (I know not care fresh, etc) and what should I be giving HER to use to make a nest? Any ideas, help, or tips would be amazing!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
paper towel and toielt paper works for making a nest as for bedding :) and for bedding iv heard of people using old blankets and paper towel ? lilspaz would probably be best to tell you about this :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I actually have a 3 day old litter right now. I prefer fleece (no holes), and then quality white paper towel for nesting. Toilet paper will stick to wet newborn skin and is incredibly hard to get off without damaging their skin after it dries.

I don't give them houses and no wood chews for momma (just foam) because splinters could hurt the baby. My gal and her family are in an Martins R-660 right now. This cage has a shelf that she can go rest on but that's all, no hammocks. Its pretty boring being a rat mom but they don't care. Waterbottle no water bowls too.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
that ratty is soooo cute ^_^

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Wow, great picture of the new mama, Lilspaz..and that tiny lil jellybean baby with his/her? back feet up in the air..so cute!!
My husband looked at this picture and said, "Wow, there is no mistaking that look and stance on Mama Rat..like she is looking at the camera and saying, "Stay away from my babies or I will pop you one!". Very sweet. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why doesn't momma rat get a house, Lilspaz? Is there something negative with letting a momma rat hide?

I've always given mine a shoebox, shredded paper towel bedding, a food bowl, and a water bowl in an aquarium. Shoeboxes make it easy for momma to feel secure and easy for me to check on them since the lid just folds open.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Why doesn't momma rat get a house, Lilspaz? Is there something negative with letting a momma rat hide?

I've always given mine a shoebox, shredded paper towel bedding, a food bowl, and a water bowl in an aquarium. Shoeboxes make it easy for momma to feel secure and easy for me to check on them since the lid just folds open.
I want to be able to see if there's any issues quickly, instead of having to move or open a box every time. I have see/heard babies pinned under boxes when momma bumps or bodychecks it and they sometimes die if they aren't found soon enough.

I used to give them houses but saw how the good breeders were handling their mom's and its working well. Plus if you end up with a hormonal nippy mom, it can amplify her insecurities having that house/den and you could end up nipped or bitten.

Right now I fold back the paper towel nest and check the babies quickly by eye until I take them out for a real look-over daily. My rescue mom's have become better about me handling their bubs once I started doing things this way. A more relaxed mom usually means better, happier, more confident babies :D

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
This is a typical Mat setup here (just cleaned Alana's cage). Fleece but folded over on one end so I can put YN there to encourage mom to poop there. Foam chews only, no wood chews, but most of the time Mom nurses, eats, nurses, licks butts, and sleeps. Once the babies are a bit more mobile (they are only 4 days old right now) I will tie up the ramp until they are steadier. By then I should be able to move them into a bigger cage (R-680).

Mom gets out for 20 mins at a time during the first week, then more later on. I usually move them to aspen, or a real bedding once they have a fur coat to protect that sensitive skin.

I socialize practically from day 1.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a typical Mat setup here (just cleaned Alana's cage). Fleece but folded over on one end so I can put YN there to encourage mom to poop there. Foam chews only, no wood chews, but most of the time Mom nurses, eats, nurses, licks butts, and sleeps. Once the babies are a bit more mobile (they are only 4 days old right now) I will tie up the ramp until they are steadier. By then I should be able to move them into a bigger cage (R-680).

Mom gets out for 20 mins at a time during the first week, then more later on. I usually move them to aspen, or a real bedding once they have a fur coat to protect that sensitive skin.

I socialize practically from day 1.
what's YN and where do I get foam chews (I have never heard of them) ?

Right now Lyla gets let out for 1 1/2 in the AM and 2 hours at night. When the babies come should I just leave her in the cage and then let her out for 20 min a day (is that what you meant?)

I'm sorry that I'm a little confused.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts