Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this sounds like a funny question but seriously.

I know for hysterectomies and castrated animals, a simple scan can be done to prove that the animal has been spayed/neutered. However it has come to my attention that people are getting more into
  1. leaving their animals natural
  2. the look of "having balls"

I know some vets...SOME are willing to perform vasectomies and tubal ligation for those who would like their animals to remain intact (which seems to be for working purposes more.) I am also aware of Neuticles. So lets say a dog/cat goes into a shelter or vet that has been sterilized but still has their parts or has implants. I know most shelters will hack out parts anyway to prevent behavior problems but what about those that are castrated with implants? Would they just take them out anyway? Is there a way to tell that they are sterilized without opening them up?

I mean having some form of ID can really help (like a license or microchip) because they ask if your animal is sterilized and if there are any special features.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
at the shelter we would send them to get neutered or spayed. If we can't find a scar normally we send them in, a few times with cats we have found they were already spayed.

normally people that pay for implants don't drop their pet off at the shelter. Implants for dogs are weird.

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Implants for dogs are weird.
I agree but see why some people want them. One of my managers at work had a very nice bull terrier that she was showing...nice confirmation...everything. He had behavior issues though and castrating really helped. Now he is shown for fun with his implants in.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Isn't it against the show rules to show fixed animals though? I've heard of people using those implants to show dogs but they used the implants to trick everyone into thinking that their animal was still intact. Seems like it's just a way to lie and get by the rules.

I understand why they'd want to get a dog fixed but then just follow the rules and don't show it anymore. There are plenty of other activities you can do with a dog for fun where you don't have to lie about them being fixed.

As to your original question, I'm not sure if an animal had implants or vasectomies if they would be able to tell that the animal was already sterilized. I would assume that if the animal appeared to have testicles, that they would try to neuter it. If it was a vasectomy I'd guess they'd remove the testicles but I'm not sure what they'd do if they found implants. Interesting question.

· Registered
26 Posts
Yes, that is weird.. but, I agree with Kendalle in saying that most dogs that have the nueticles (canine testicular implants) aren't typically the type to be dropped off at a shelter. They are quite expensive!

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i found the answer if anyone is interested

How do you detect a Neuticled dog?

CTI Corporation provides each Neuticled canine with a certificate of implant. In addition, some dog owners include nutering with Neuticles information on the dogs collar or tags or in the microchip implant which may eliminate risk of a second neutering in the unlikely event the dog is lost or stolen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.