Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey wow yeah those are some very important questions. i recommend getting an obedience training book from your local pet store.
look for one that says it uses positive reinforcement in training your pet

·
Registered
423 Posts
I enroll my dogs in training classes at Petsmart. The socialization is good for them and the trainer should be qualified to help you with any problems you may encounter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
you have to make meeting the stranger a positive experience for the dog. even if this means bringing them close and sending them away when she barks until she understands the only way he/she will be praised is if they greet nicely. I work at petsmart myself, and I know this is one of the major things they stress in a puppy or beginner class is sit politely for greeting from a person and also other dogs. in my experience it does a lot of good to take them.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I do believe I seen somewhere that the poster is from India??(Correct me if Im wrong) which means Petsmart and therefore handy tools and tips are not as easily available.
I would suggest maybe getting people who dont mind some barking to have playdates which are posituve to create the bonds and socializtion?? Sorry, Im not a big obedience brain

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
have some friends come over, give each treats or toys which ever the dog perfers.

bring your dog out to see them. Don't have them look at the dog, just at you, and throw the treats on the ground. the dog will see new people = treats = fun.

Then they can come into your house and randomly give out treats and give commands like sit or come and play fetch or whatever if you do this often enough it should work.

It will be come fun, and not important when new people come over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dog Training

This is a common habit in poochs. There are a number of online sites that an provide you with important tips. Please follow them. But if you are still feeling that it is not enough, then it is safe to consult a professional trainer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like to train as things show up and not in a controlled area. If my boys do something that is undesirable I will tssk them, correct with a snap of the leash or poke them in the neck to get their attention. Im a big Cesar Millan (sp?) fan mostly because he trains like I do XP Watch The Dog Whisperer on National Geographic Channel, he knows a lot of handy things!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Training your dog is the basic and fundamental steps to communicating and teaching your dog proper obedience and good behaviour. In fact, it is highly important that every dog be given at least some basic elementary obedience and behaviour training as no responsible dog owner would like to have a disobedient dog that won't listen to commands and one that embarrass you in public.
With proper behaviour and obedience training, both you and your dog would be able to understand each other better. You would also be able to bring out the best in your dog -- one you can trust and rely on. Look in your local paper for a Professional dog handler to help you with this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts