Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how'd you all get your pets?

We got Kiwi, when my dad wanted to see what some puppies that were listed in the paper looked like. We went and saw them and came home with Kiwi
Then we got Kibbles , when I spent 2 months begging for another dog (Kiwi was my moms) so we were going to a place to see somebreeds of dogs, but we stopped at a small pet store, and some people there told us that the place we were going was a puppy mill so we decided not to go. The store had a sheltie pup (kibbles) and my dad wanted to get a sheltie, the lady who owned the shop was very nice and told us the pup was from a breeder (he was not from a puppy mill) so we got him and now hes mine.

Cheerios came from a person who bred them but stopped due to havening a lot of horses . She was her pet snake not one of the breeders. We got her off a used classified site, and went to see her and came home with her.

Thats it I think

·
Registered
799 Posts
We got The White One from a litter of foster kittens we had (we couldn't part with him, he was too sweet).

We got Napoleon after one of our other cats passed away. We went to the SPCA just on a whim to make us feel better and one of the little kittens looked just like that cat we had lost. It seemed like a sign so we adopted him right away.

We got Hank from another litter of foster kittens we had. Haha, we have a hard time letting them go without keeping one...

Gidget is from a breeder. And the two degus are rescues.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Chris and I got Zeus from a pet store. I wanted to get another bunny really bad and finally convinced Chris that we could get a dwarf rabbit and it wouldn't be to much trouble. I wanted to adopt one, but Chris found Zeus at the pet store and fell in love with him. Chris went back everyday to see if anyone had bought him yet, and no one did for over 2 weeks. So when I finally got to NJ he took me to the pet store so I could see him for myself, and we ended up taking him home with us that day.

The next summer, a year after we got Zeus, I decided that he was lonely on his own and talked Chris into letting me get another rabbit. I looked in a few shelters and even pet stores in the area but couldn't find another rabbit that was small enought, because I wanted Zeus to have a friend around the same size as him. Just as I was about to give up finding Zeus a friend for awhile, a lady emailed me with pictures of her kids pet rabbit "Kiwi", who they couldn't keep anymore due to allergies. Usually when ppl contact me like that I just help them rehome their rabbits. But Kiwi was small and cute and he was already neugtered, so I decided to take him home myself and see how he got along with Zeus. They got along great, and I renamed Kiwi - Barnaby. Him and Zeus are best buds now, it's so cute :)

Kibwe, my frog, I got when I was working for my college Bio department and two of the ACF's laid eggs. I asked what I was sapose to do with the eggs and they told me to get rid of them. Instead, I put them all in a plastic bag with some water and took them home. Only 3 of the eggs survived to turn into frogs, I kept Kibwe because his front legs are deformed and he needs to be hand fed. The other two frogs I gave to my brother.

My two bettas I also got from the college, a teacher was using them to show his students how they fight and mate. After that, their fins were all torn up and the teacher didn't want to keep them so he was going to put them in a freezer. I took them home instead, all their fins grew back, and they're beatiful fish now :)

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
We got Puppers from my brother, the day he was diagnosed with cancer he came to us and asked if we would take Puppers in (he went through a really tough time after that before being ok with the prognosis) and so Puppers came to us and then when my baby Petrie died he saw how much me and Pup had bonded and told me to keep him forever...

We got Lady on a complete whim...we saw a stupid cardboard sign on a tree on christmas tree lane that said free pups with a number, we called and went right then...The woman opened her door and all these pups came running out, and Lady jumped in our car and gave us this sweet silly look that said ok lets go lol so we did..

Leia and Libby we had put alot of thought into...we wanted another dog pretty bad, with both the others getting on in years I wanted a pup that could pick up some of pups manerisms...we got there and she had these 2 females left...I wanted Libby from first sight lol, she had the sweetest eyes and just wanted to be loved, Ashley wanted Leia who was a bundle of tiny energy lol...they were so bonded that we said ok and bought both...

We got Martin the betta at a pet store, we always look at the bettas, we used to have like 15 and I missed them, so while looking at them we saw this pretty blue male, so we bought him and a tank lol...and Martina was a gift, they thought Martin needed a friend, so we had to rush out and buy another tank while explaining that they could not be togather lol

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Lets see...

The rats: Well Armand and Ninja were both bred by me,when I was breeding.The two nekkids,Milenko and Ringalo came from a pet store.They gave me the rats! They couldn't sell them and the poor things were there for over a year! Unfortunatly because they were housed on pine for so long,they have respitory infections.

The mice: Milkshake,Misty and Mishka came from pet stores and Mint was going to be snake food,but the snake didn't eat her,so now she is with me!

Geckos: Bear was sold to me,when the breeder had to move and leave the province.Bear was her favorite male and she didn't wanna part with him,so she sold me his tank and everything for $50 because she knew I would take good care of him.As for Mystta,my female,she came from a breeder as well,but a different one.She was given to me because she was only producing "duds" and her eggs were never fertile.

Slinky: She was given to me by an old friend.I was looking for an African giant millipede everywhere and could not find one! Then my friend contacted me and said she had one for me! She went to a store I never go to and they had one there.Despite her disliking creepy crawlies she bought the millipede for me and gave her to me.

Juggalo Joe: I been looking for a hamster for a long time now,but kind of didn't wanna go to the pet store,as my fear in owning a store hammie was that it would be really saucy and not tamed! I was looking online and found an ad for baby "teddy bear" hammies for free.I decided to just have a look and make a descision whether or not I really wanted a hamster.I went there and seen all of the hammies and both parents and they were all super friendly,as they were handled and well loved.I ended up falling in love with a tiny little grey hammie which I named J.J. And I left the same day with him.He isn't so small anymore tho! He is getting huge,like his daddy!

Apolla: She belonged to a friend.But the friend and her boyfriend couldn't keep the guinea pig,or they would be kicked out.I have wanted a guinea pig since I was really little,but my mom would never let me.Now that I am on my own,I started researching and kind of looking for one for a couple of yrs now,but not putting alot of effort into searching.I thought I would wait until I found one that really needed a home.Well my friend told me that they couldn't keep Apolla right now and asked if I could take her temporarily.Of course I took her.However I think she is mine now!!! :approve: There is no talk of them taking her back.

African clawed frogs: They all came from a pet store.Actually I had some before and I really like these guys! I said I would never get frogs again once they died.But after hearing everyone on here talking about their froggies,I wanted one again and ended up getting three!!!

Fish: All of them came from pet stores.

Oh and the isopods...well some of them I collected from outside,but they have bred and now I have a bunch of captive bred ones!

·
Registered
477 Posts
The cat- we got him with his (literally identical)twin brother as kittens from my mom's friend. Sadly his brother passed last Christmas Eve.

Dogs- We got our lab from a breeder, and adopted our other two from the SPCA.

Hedgie- I fell in love with hedgehogs at camp one year. 2 years later I was on a trip in Canada with my cousin and my gerbil died while I was away. So I told my mom, maybe I'll ask for a hedgie for my birthday. Well, I got home from my trip and my mom had actually located one!(finding hedgies here can be difficult) Usually I have to do my own searching for my pets, but my mom was really excited about this one. We got him from a small private rescue. The lady was a school teacher and she had all kinds of hedgies, lizards, snakes.. things like that.

Guineapig- My cousin and I went to a hole in the wall pet shop with some friends and she fell in love with the baby piggles. Well, I begged her to get the orange one. And she said no.. she wanted the females with the rosettes. So we left and she had her pigs, and I had no orange one. All day I thought about my little orange piggy...And so later that same day I went back and got him!

Degus- I was searching for exotic pets online one day and I came across goos, and absolutely fell in love. I've always been a gerbil person, and so finding a giant gerbil was like Christmas in July. I HAD to have one. I told my mom about them and she liked them too. So, several months later, on my birthday, I was looking at dogs on Craigs List and I found and add for 3 degus with a cage! So my mom and I arranged to meet them and I took them home! What a great birthday find!.

·
Registered
852 Posts
hmm let me see where to start lol . The dogs...
Buster: My mom has had cancer for years, she had started going into depression and the doctor told her that pets were a great way to "Heal" depression. So we began a search for the "Perfect" pet for her. She was wanting a toy poodle but there are only 2 people that breed in our area so a friend was telling us about her Chi. (I can't ever remember how to spell that) My mom went to visit hers and fell in love. She told us about where she had bought her lil girl from and we contacted the woman that was selling them. So we went to look at them. We let me mom go in by herself so she alone could pick the one she liked. Well about to mins later she came out with a baby blanket. We asked if she didn't like any of them and she said Yes I fell in love. Well we were confused lol Then her blanket started crying and she showed us this itsy bitsy brown big eyed baby lol The lady hadn't wanted to sale him because he was so small she wasn't sure he would make it. But mom said that was the one and talked her into it. lol and He has never been ill.
Rascal: My cousin had bought a Min. Pin. from a breeder an hour away. After she got him she said that she didnt realize how much energy they had lol.. And since she lived in town in a two bedroom trailer in a trailer court she decided to re home him. So she called me and asked me if I wanted him. I was like YEAH lol I had already had one but she was getting older and since we always have a ton of kids over here that would pick with her we decided to let my sister in law keep her. So we got Rascal.
Reba: is the daughter of Poodie (My older Min.Pin.) and Buster (My Chi.) Poodie had two babies but Reba's the only one that made it so we kept her. We wasn't breeding them intentionally. But after we found out Poodie was pregnant we got Buster and Rascal both fixed.
Avalanche: My dad had lost his Border Collie a year before and he was still mourning the loss. I ran across an ad for free Austrilian Shepherds (Sp?) I had always loved the breed and we were needing another farm dog. (we have cattle that our border collie would help us round up and stuff) So I went to look at them and fell completely in love with Avie. So home I came with him. And he has turned out to be so much more than a wonderful farm dog!

Sam the snake: My brother had bought him from a pet store. Well they couldn't get him to eat so they took him back and got a different one. So sam was down there for about 3 months and no one wanted him. They told me the next time I went in there that he was going to be sent off to be put to sleep. I said well how much would you have to have for him. They said I think $50 so I went back home got the money and brought Sam home! lol I was going to try to rehome him because I'm not all that fond of handling snakes. But he grew on me and he's so much different then I would have ever thought. I think I've had him 5 or 6 years now.

Cats:
Paris: We had lost our older cat a few years ago and me and my mom swore we would never have another cat. But my aunts cat had kittens and she snuck one up here and was like aww aint she cute? lol So we ended up keeping her.
Grant: My mom had told a friend of mine that works at a petshop that if she ever found a Persian (this is way before our first one passed) that she wanted it. Well I walked in one day and she was like here's the kitten your mom was wanting. I was like what? and then she told me what my mom had told her. And went on to say that the owner of the kitten was a breeder and decided she wans't making enough money off of the kittens. So she brought all her litters down there and left them on the doorstep. So I couldn't just leave him there lol
Shaylynn: My brothers daughter had recieved her as a birthday present and after she got her my brother decided he wasn't the cat type and called and asked if I wanted her. So he brought her to me.

Haily the Iguana was a rescue.

Lenny the Guenia Pig was given to me.

The hermit Crabs were rescues.

Dee Dee and Dexter were Given to us.

Sugie the Sugar Glider was a rescue as Well.

The we have the horses. All of them were bought. And the cows were bought.

·
Salamander Buffalokisser
1,727 Posts
I rescued Kramer from Kitty Jail. Well its actually a place here in town that only takes cats so its like a cat rescue. I had been wanting to get another cat since I was 4 when we had to give our 2 cats away. I don't remember why we had to but we did. So we got Kramer when I was almost done with high school. We walked into this place and there were cats everywhere, we were walkinig around and went upstairs and he was being petted by one of the volunteers and so I paid no attention to him and my brother found a black cat that he wanted and while he was showing us that cat, Kramer came over to me and started rubbing on my leg. I looked down to see what cat it was, I bent down picked him up flipped him onto his back so I was holding him like a baby and fell in love. My mom did as well and it was 2 against 1 so Thats how kramer was brought into the family.

He was supposed to be the family cat but he chose me as his person and so everywhere I go I have this shadow that follows me around. :giggle:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I forgot all about Rocky. We haven't had him but for like a week. A friend of ours gave him to my 8 yr old brother. He's a Mountian Feist? He's about 1 yr and a half old. They had used him as a hunting dog but he started chasing away the deer so he gave him to Zach as a pet.

·
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter
1,165 Posts
I brought Blackie home 2 days after Christmas 14 years ago - my ex-idiot had been wanting a puppy and when my supervisor's dog had puppies he decided we had to have one of them because they reminded him of a dog they'd had when he was a kid. Brilliant man that he was, he even named him after his childhood dog (y'all didn't think I would name a black dog Blackie, did you? I'm not that un-creative)
I got Dutchy from a friend of mine whose dog had pups. I got him because Blackie needed a friend while I was gone during the day at work. That was 10 and a half years ago. They're best buds and inseparable to this day.
We got Roxie in August 2 years ago, less than a month after we lost our first blue&gold. I wanted to wait, but Greg became obsessed with wanting another one. I drove half an hour to Pet Supplies Plus to get a BirdTalk magazine for the breeder ads, and there sat Roxie. I called Greg and had him drive up to meet her - she was so sweet we bought her right then and there.

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
Allie was given to us by David's old boss, Dixie.... Her jack Russell (Annabell) had 4 pups, a few weeks after her dog gave birth, Dixie was diagnosed with cancer.. and well, it wasn't good, she went downhill pretty fast, All the pups had homes Except Allie. Allie was the runt and had alot of trouble getting around as a pup, so Dixie gave Allie to us, knowing we would take good care of her..

Hoppity, we saw in Atwood's and fell in love. i always wanted a rabbit and knew absolutely nothing about them.. didn't do any research or anything.. tsk tsk i know.. totally learned my lesson.. she was a complete impulse buy.. but she was soo tiny.. and so cute.. and I'm soo allergic to her hay.. but i love her.

Tanner, was one of Stubbies puppies.. Davids friend Lesley was going to get his dog fixed.. then she went into heat and ended up pregnant before they appointment.. so they let her have them.. we went to see them and they kept asking us how many we wanted.. 2? 12? :giggle: David said i could have one when we moved, since we had been looking for a house for awhile, and since Allie was technically his dog.. and i wanted a dog we could take for walks and do other doggy stuff with that Allie just cant do.. so Lesley kept tanner for us until we found a house.. which was 10 months later.. ((i cant believe we were looking for a house for over a year.. it didn't seem like that long...)) So Tanner spent most of his life so far living outside in the country, but hes adjusting soo well being a house pup, Hes starting to relax some, and maybe even becoming a little bit of a couch potato :D

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
in reference to the two pets i currently have (we'll negate past ones to save time lol) i got my ratty boys Feb of this year. Timmehh I had first, I got him to friend a rat i had, mookie. mookie died :( so then i had mr solo timmy. now, little 4 week old timmy from the humane society, so tiny, like a mouse. timmy lived in my sweater morning and evening, and in his hammy cage afternoon and night. whaaaat a suck he is. to this day he sits in his cage waiting for me to take him out, if not, he noses his way into my sleeve no matter what im doing/cleaning. he literally INSISTS he be with me rather than in the cage with his bud petey. i named him timmy because since day one he'll pop in and out of any box or location, as if to say peek a boo over and over, and it reminds me of timmy from south park. timmy know's his name, and loves to hear me talk "timmmehh, timmy, timmy timmy, tim" lol and full of kisses! they guy'll lick me until he's out of saliva, go get a drink, then come back and lick me more!
now petey, mr peter parker aka spiderman, what a guy. i got his to friend timmy. i found him online on classifieds from a girl whom got his as a present....the sender not knowing she had females instead. the girl didn't know how old petey was, i guessed him at 7 weeks, at the time timmy was 10. very shy guy, came with his starter gp cage. i put him into my makeshift rat travelling box, but the box into my shoulderbag, carry the akward cage and truck on home. nasty cold rainy windy weather, long bus home. 2 hours later im home, warm, with petey in his cage. he gets so excited by the change that he spent a good chunk of time monkeybarring along the top of his cage. back and forth, front paws only, like a kid in a playground he goes. then he jumped from wall to wall, quite a sight!! so i called him spiderman, cause he's so spidey lol. i call him petey in memorial to a bird my grandma had many many years ago.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I just got 4 more rats (there were 6,but a friend took 2) from my cousin.Due to some issues,she had to rehome them and if she didn't find a home,they would of been euthanized.Since they are older rats,that was sad and I couldn't see that happen to them...so I took them in.They are not named yet.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
my iguana i got from a pet store
along with my 3 fish (different pet store though)
my dog was a rescue
my moms dog was from a breeder
and our cat- my out door cat had babies and we think she ate antifreeze but not enough to hurt her but all the kittens died but the big fat one that couldn't walk because all he did was eat. now he is 21 lbs
our other cat- mom found a litter of winter kittens and tried to save them all and all but one died so she brought him in

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
I got my dog Sheba from a rescue center. I went purposely looking for a new family member and she caught my eye! I got my fish from my local pet shop and i rescued both my bunnies from a shelter and my ratties also came from a local center. My cat i bought from a lady that had too many kittens to look after i also got his brother but he decided he wanted to live with my neighbour as she had loadsa cats and he buggered off lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts