Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I like them in the wild.
:)

I don't think they are fully domesticated yet. I only recently heard about them being kept as pets. But apparently people are starting to keep meerkats too...:(

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts

I don't think they are fully domesticated yet.
Arguably, that should take an easy 100+ generations....so long after we have shuffled off this mortal coil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Arguably, that should take an easy 100+ generations....so long after we have shuffled off this mortal coil.
It took 50 years to domesticate the fox. I don't know how long it takes a capybara to reach breeding age, but most rodents mature fast. I'd say it'd be quicker then a fox...

But not all animals are able to be domesticated. For example, the Rhino.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[FONT=Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif]For most people, the idea of keeping rodents as pets is off-putting, if not downright creepy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif]However, it's possible all these reservations could be put aside if we just embrace the capybara as a household pet. The semi-aquatic rodent native to South America can grow to be around 100 lbs. and about 2 feet tall at the shoulder. :welcome5:
[/FONT]

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is one of the hugest rodents in the world, followed by the beaver, porcupine, and mara.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
This is one of the hugest rodents in the world, followed by the beaver, porcupine, and mara.
Not just 'one of the largest', but the largest known rodent species on earth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts