Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there....​

I thought that getting rid of my lamp and instead just going with under tank heaters would be best for my gecko, since he needs alot of humidity and I thought the lamp was taking it out.​

Now, though, the humidity is still low. It dwindles around in the 50's when it should be around the 60's. I do spray him constantly, but I am a bit worried about mold, and I wish I didn't have to spray the tank so much. Any ideas on other ways to keep up humidity?​

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Using a substrate that holds humidity well (like Eco Earth) is always a good first step. Moss also holds in moisture and you can even wrap some around branches. Live plants help too but I think you already have some?

Another option is at least partially covering the screen top with saran wrap or something similar. I did that when I had a dart frog terrarium (they require even higher and more consistent humidity than cresteds!).

Your tank shouldn't grow mold from the misting as long as you're cleaning it regularly. By the way, how often are you misting the tank and how much?

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
What are you using as the substrate? Coco fiber works well if you are going for a more natural enclosure and paper towel works for sterile set ups.

You want the substrate that you are using to dry out between mistings. The live plants should help with humitiy but you could also use moss. Or provide a shallow dish of water.

What I do is lightly mist in the morning and then mist heavily at night.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
What are you using as the substrate? Coco fiber works well if you are going for a more natural enclosure and paper towel works for sterile set ups.

You want the substrate that you are using to dry out between mistings. The live plants should help with humitiy but you could also use moss. Or provide a shallow dish of water.

What I do is lightly mist in the morning and then mist heavily at night.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the cocoa fiber substrate, and live plants as well. I had a dish of water in there, I will put one back in. I'm misting maybe 10 or so sprays at a time, I saw somewhere to do it a lot at night and then let it dry out during the day...I might do the partial covering. Any thing else? I remember vaguely hearing about some rock or something that gives humidity? Maybe I'm just crazy, and getting fish stuff mixed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.