Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How stubborn or smart would a husky/ border collie puppy be and get? I know a border collie is supposed to be the number 1 smartest dog and I found out that a husky is extremely smart and can also be very stubborn. My pup right now really tries to do the opposite of what I ask him to do. And he also seems to want to ALWAYS hump my daughter. I can't get him fixed until September (vet comes down here once a year). Is there anything I can do to tone the humping down a little..or make him stop wanting to hump my daughter? Saying "No" and putting him in "time-out" (his bed) doesn't seem to work.

· Registered
377 Posts
Teaching him "off" would be an alternative. We often over use the word "no" and it can lose it's meaning or get lost in translation. If you tell him off in a calm tone and then place yourself between your daughter and your dog. Point the direction you want him to go and then by body blocking him, move in slightly gain space between the two.

Reward him for stopping what he was doing and seeking direction from you instead. If your daughter is old enough get her to use the basic commands for sit down stay to elevate her status to him.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
a husky border collie mix could be a very challenging breed, they are both independant breeds, and quick moving and quick thinking. You are going to have a witty smart dog.

Just work on training a lot as both breeds are also very loyal and want to please but need a job to do.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting in between them when he starts to "get in position" has really helped. He hasn't tried it since yesterday afternoon :) Thank you so so so much for your help!
Stubborn he is VERY...I've never had to repeat things as many times as I've had to to him. He KNOWS he's not supposed to do something but he'll go do it anyways and then go hide in one of his 3 hiding places.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Border collies, from what I've heard will NEED to absolutely always have to have a job which stimulates his intelligence and body. Get puzzle toys which are super readily available now. Get him to a park for an hour or two of running a day which might help to calm him into a relaxed state in which training is ideal. :) Bless and good luck!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Puzzle toys? I'm not sure I've ever heard of those for dogs, but I'll look around thanks. I try to do 2 runs a day with him every morning and night, but my hubs says that because he's still very young, he will have a lot of energy. Since we got him, I've been getting back in shape too..haven't done any exercising since my pregnancy lol. I also did a lot of research today on how to teach him things. So I've made it a goal to squeeze in teaching him a trick a day. And soon enough I'm also planning on getting him to teach him to pull a sled, with my daughter on it. Not planning to turn him into a sled dog..just for fun once in a while.

· Registered
377 Posts
Here is website that has links to a billion different tricks. I've been trying to get mine to cross his leg over the other. No luck after a couple of days. But I'll take it one paw at a time. The key with puppies is to keep teaching sessions short and fun! 3-5 mins at a time. With my pup I've had to limit myself to just enough treats that fit in my hand so I don't go too long for his attention span.

http://www.dogmantics.com/Dogmantics/Home.html

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I just wanted to post with the puzzle toys that I've found especially great for my dogs :). My own dog doesn't really need to be distracted or worn out (she gets them for fun, though) but some of my foster dogs REALLY need a job to do!

My favorites:

-Tug a Jug
-Bob-a-lot
-IQ treat ball
-Nina Ottosson toys (some are pretty advanced)
-Kongs (good for starters, too easy for my dogs now)
-Twist n Treat (another beginner one)
-Nylabone Rhino (slightly harder than a Kong, same concept)

Sorry if the spelling is off on some of these but they should be easy to look up.

Edit: Oh, and nothing beats a good meaty bone for keeping a dog occupied!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna look for some of those, thank you guys!..but I don't know if it's a good idea...he loves to chew and and wreck his own toys. Would it be better if I started those after he grows his adult teeth?

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
If he loves to chew why not get him things he can chew? It will keep him occupied for awhile and chewing is great for dogs teeth.

My dog really loves to chew too, I keep stocked up on lots of healthy chews like Himalayan dog chews (My dog loves these and they last quite awhile), bully sticks, and antlers.

Look for chews that are 100% digestible and don't have a lot of unnecessary additives. If you don't have any objections to giving him raw meat, I bet a nice raw meaty bone would be a big hit.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's got chewable toys but not many yet. I will be getting him more, so he has variety. But I have also been advised by many people out here not to spoil him too much or else when he starts to get bored with all that, he might get destructive or depressed. They've said if he's used to just lounging around the house, he'll be used to it as a dog, but obviously he still gets his exercise and we do play around with him inside too.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
If you don't get him chew toys he will chew your stuff. Dogs that you don't keep entertained will be destructive and depressed. You can teach to only play nice in the house so they do that once they are adults but not getting him stuff to keep him busy will not teach him to leave your stuff alone as an adult.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I'm unsure about the getting him used to lounging at a young age, as he is growing and developing he will probably fare better with having a job to do and will sleep when he is ready. Think of babies, as long as they are awake they have something to do, right? They develop into normal functioning kids who accept the rules of the house as long as they are brought on at appropriate stages.
I agree with Michelle (Dragon) about bully sticks and bones. There is a site which sells them cheap www.valuepetsupplies.com but again, Coco is much too old for them so I have not used them. I think as a puppy and struggling with teething and learning he will definitely find something of yours to chew to satisfy his needs!!!

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Hm. I don't know where you got that advice but I've never heard of that before. My dog is high energy and if I don't give him toys and chews and stuff to keep him busy than he just destroys my stuff instead. He doesn't seem to get bored or depressed when he has his own stuff...my dog is 2 years old now and he has toys that he's had since he was 9 weeks old and he still plays with them every single day.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I've never heard that either and haven't found it to be true with any of the puppies I've raised.

I get bones and bully sticks from bestbullysticks.com :). Great prices and selection.

· Registered
377 Posts
He's got chewable toys but not many yet. I will be getting him more, so he has variety. But I have also been advised by many people out here not to spoil him too much or else when he starts to get bored with all that, he might get destructive or depressed. They've said if he's used to just lounging around the house, he'll be used to it as a dog, but obviously he still gets his exercise and we do play around with him inside too.
If you leave toys and overdo the chewy stuff they can get bored with items and find something else to do.

This is avoidable. Keep the toys out of reach and only offer them up at random times and be sure to pull them before he has lost interest in them. These are your toys that he gets to frolic with for a while. If you have a variety of items, keep them on rotation.

I had a basket of stuff left out for my dogs and while it was cute to see them dig up something they wanted and play for a while they did lose interest in most of them. After pulling all the toys for a week. I can now grab something from the basket (now left on the table out of reach) and invite them to play and they act like they just got something brand new. I have a couple of kongs, treat balls and a tug a jug (rope removed) for mini projects when I want to keep them occupied for a while.

As for lounging around... I don't think lounging around for a puppy ever happens unless they are tired. Breed tendencies are going to be the contributing factor as to when your dog seems content just hanging out. I see it happen when a dog matures. Which for some can be several years. I could see the advice being valid provided you teach them how/when/where to play and how/when/where to chill. For example, a game of chase with another dog is not appropriate inside the house or out at a dog friendly venue with lots of people and children.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.