Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went over a friend's house to meet with a few people and shoot a video for school. I'm pretty good friends with all the kids there, so it was really fun.
But, this girl is an only child and is so spoiled, but she's still pretty nice. This is where it gets bad, she has four full grown red eared sliders in one fifty gallon tank that's only filled half way. I told her if she ever was planning on getting rid of some, she should tell me, I'll take them. She also has two parakeets, in a tiny cage that you can get at Petco for $9.99! These birds have overgrown beaks, can barely eat, and to top it off, one has a growth on his bottom. It is almost an inch big and all the poop gets stuck there, and he is in sooo much pain! They aren't going to do anything about because he's nine years old and don't care because according to them, he's gonna die of old age. Yea right! I got so upset, and no one understood! I offered to take them home and get them to a vet, but they wouldn't let me! They have two parakeets, don't want them, but won't give them up to a good home! :banghead: I can't do a thing about it! :handhip: I'm so mad right now I'm shaking! These people are so heartless and cruel, and I can't believe I thought they were nice.

· Registered
5,283 Posts
NavyWife97 said:
I agree with Sassy.....Natalie I'm sorry you had to see something like that :hug3: the only advice I can give is to try and help your friend by trying to educate her a little more on the importance of animal health, without seeming pushy if you know what I mean :)
:yeah: I totally agree, if you do it in a sincere way, she may take notice.. Good luck..

· Wacky Chimpnose
6,276 Posts
i don't think it's the humane society. i believe it would be animal control. i do not know if they do those kinds of animals. but you could try. just call your local police dept (NOT 911) and ask for "animal control".
if animal control says that they don't do those kinds of animals, ask if it's because they don't have the facilities to house them. if that's why, then maybe they can work with a local rescue organization to house the animals (if taken away). but they should at least be able to go out and take a look at the animals and issue a warning. i would think so at least.

good luck and keep us updated. :)

· Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'll look into that and see if I can find the phone #. If they don't want to take them, I would definitely take them, but I think the one bird with cancer has to be euthanized. It's just so terrible. :(
One quick questions, how long are parakeets supposed to live? I find conflicting information everywhere!

· Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My parents aren't allwoing me to call the police! Why? Because they think that anonymous never really means that and that they are going to get a law suit from these people because they would suspect me anyways because I've been threatening to call animal control. This is so unfair! I have a chance to make something right that's wrong, and I can't! :mad2:

· Registered
5,283 Posts
Millimi said:
My parents aren't allwoing me to call the police! Why? Because they think that anonymous never really means that and that they are going to get a law suit from these people because they would suspect me anyways because I've been threatening to call animal control. This is so unfair! I have a chance to make something right that's wrong, and I can't! :mad2:
That is so wrong.. Not your parents, but the fact you may not stay anon...

· Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These people are crazy, you'd have to meet them! And I also don't want to disobey my parents now, but it's soo unfair. These birds will suffer their whole life.
But they could sue me for pressing charges if they get fined for animal abuse. :(

· Registered
3,349 Posts
But you can't press charges. All you are doing is reporting an observation. Their suit would be full of holes. You can not sue a person for seeing something in a home in plain sight that you were invited into. I do realise that you do not want to disobey your parents. Is there anyway you can convince them otherwise? Animals always loose when people are afraid to stand up to others :( ( I mean no disrespect to you. I know in your situation you can only do so much as you are in your parents home.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.