Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Let me introduce my self. My name is Mayra :wave: and I have a little 5 Year old yorkie...He is the sweetest! I have just recently acquired a little frog, love it its so cute... my question is bellow.

I decided to bring a little fish tank into work 2 gallon. It has a little filter and it is completely covered up. So I let the tank run for a while (a week) and I also added the bacteria. I introduced one ADF and it seemed pretty happy. Then a day later, I added another one...left food for them in the weekend. Well I come back on Monday, and well... the new one is missing. :( and I have checked the rocks, and under the little rock that they have for hiding.

My question is... will one frog eat the other? ugh so sad ... :(

Other thinks to keep in mind: the left over frog is SUPER active now...and the water got a bit cloudy from over the weekend.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

I don't know much about ADF's but I was reading up on them when I planned to get some- they require MUCH more room that what you're giving them. I would keep a minimum 5 gal for 2 but that's apparantly small. Could the frog have gotten stuck in the filter? I think they're social and therefore wouldn't eat another each other. Also are you sure it didn't jump out?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I second Purple-Hops, two ADFs need at least 5 gallons. When you say you added bacteria, do you mean a specific product? Some of them work better than others.

Would it be possible to bring a water sample to the pet store so they can test it? It would be free and you'll know if anything is wrong with the water.

I'm guessing one of them died and the other ate it over the weekend (gruesome as it sounds). It might not have been anything you did so don't feel bad...sometimes they're just in rough shape to begin with at the pet store.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
They might have been diseased or something from the store. What were you feeding them? What did you treat the water with when you cleaned it? Was it heated?
I seen some teeny tiny ADF's in the store yesterday and perhaps juvenile ones require a different diet, or more often or something. Something to research before trying again. Sorry for your loss :<

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's terrible, sorry for your loss. Could be the sudden change in environment or water temperature makes them sick?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.