Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my dog for about 5 years, its a Panamanian male. We started off by having him in the house but after about 6 months he just had to go out side. I tried number of times letting him back in side but he just pees everywhere. I told him to stop and he know that it is wrong, so he stopped doing it in my presence but once no one is watching him, he goes and does it again...
What should I do people? Anyone had a similar problem?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
it sounds like he is marking, Is he neutered?

you may need to get a belly band. marking is very hard to break. If you catch him make a startling noise. try and sneak up on him and watch from another room to catch him in the act. There was a show on its me or the dog that had this issue you may be able to look up the episode and watch it for ideas, check the website. I think they always had him on a leash attached to the person when the belly band was off so they could always catch him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No he is not neutered. I got them with an intent of having pups but he just could never find the right place to put it in. I dont know. All these years later and still no puppies :(

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
id suggest getting him neutured, as it really does sound like hes marking his territory

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I suggest you stop trying puppies, thank god he was unable to um, *ahem* get it in. There are enough mills to produce pomeranians without the help of backyard breeders.
About the marking, how old is he?
Maybe he needs more training- negative attention for peeing is still attention. Perhaps he is just seeking attention, spend more time playing with him.
You pluralized "getting them with the intent on . . ." Do you have a female? It could be the marking is due to other males being around or their scent or the scent of the female is just too much for him.
He doesn't sound very house trained. You kept him inside for 6 months? This is the most important learning period so I suggest re-training. Belly bands are a good idea. I have one for Coco and I just stick a maxi-pad in there before we leave for the day and if he needs to pee (and he's losing control of his bladder more and more now, he's 13) he pee's in his diaper. Since buying the belly band I have 100% eliminated him peeing on things that aren't mine in the house! (* granted I have it for a different reason than territorial marking)
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Hey!

Have you ever actually potty trained him?

In your first post you said "but once no one is watching him, he goes and does it again..."

If you know he's not 100% good about his bathroom habits, you should not be allowing him to go off and pee on the floor. He should not be left alone in the house when no one is watching him. He should not be allowed to sneak off and pee somewhere unnoticed. Is he crate trained? When no one is around to keep a strict eye on him, he should be crated or maybe put outside in the yard if he's not crate trained but is use to spending time outside. Only dogs who are fully house trained should be allowed to have the run of the house without constant supervision.

It sounds to me like maybe he was never fully house trained in the first place. If it where me, I'd start from scratch and work on his house training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts