Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a naked rat week.

After three weeks of good healing with my two naked neuter recipient boys we had a complication. On Friday last, I let the rats out to free range in the living room. Melon goes tearing by me and I saw a flash of something that looked out of place on his neutered bum.

Upon closer inspection I find an open and oozing green ulcer about the size of a small skittle lying against the left side of his penis sheath. On the right side of his penis where his right testicle used to be, was a hard swelling the size of a dime. He was fine two days prior that I saw, but obviously there was something going on under the surface that I hadn't detected then.

It looked like the infection started on one side, and worked its way to the surface and ate its way out on the other side.

Needless to say, I took both neutered boys back to the vet that same day. I also did a search on the internet for complications w/ neuters. Between the two it was determined that he had an inflammatory reaction to the dissolving inner sutures. According to what I found online it is apparently very common for rats to have reactions like this to dissolving sutures. The vet said he hadn't had a problem in the hundreds of neuters he'd done before, but he also said these were the first two hairless rats he'd performed the surgery on.

He looked at both boys, and not only Melon had a problem, but Skinner had a small hard swelling on his testicle area too. He gassed both boys, and drained the infection out and cleaned Melon's ulcer thoroughly. He sent me home with antibiotics for both and told me to call him if anything else looked wrong. The swelling is completely gone as of today, and the ulcer is the size of a seed bead and looks close to being cleanly healed.

So phew.

But, Sunday night I am doctoring the rat boys, and when I put them away as I closed the cage I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye, and big black brother Jeffrey looked down at me from on top of the cage. I put him back in the cage to a scolding from my husband for being careless.

Next morning, I doctored them again, and did a head count to be sure. I came home after work and was napping on the couch. I heard a noise that was out of place and opened one eye. A foot from my face was Melon, sitting on his hind legs looking at me while trying to decide if he could make the leap onto my head from the floor. Apparently, he'd slipped out that morning and I didn't even know it. He'd been out all day long. o_O I still don't know how he did it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oh my gosh, I would have been an anxious wreck in your place!!!!! First, good to know that the healing is going better now. I would have freaked out. And hopefully you won't have any more escapees!!!!!! Oh, man, I got nervous just reading this!! Good luck with those boys...it sounds like you've got your hands full!

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Breyer.

They're doing much better. The wound is healed. It's only a small discolored mark on his bits.

They were all full of sauce tonight when I took them out to play. They were all picking fights with one another, chasing one another, and just generally rough housing. Zmei and Skinner- both very much my little snuggle boys--went so far as to scrabble with each other for snuggle privileges with me. Every time one would nestle in my arm for some scritchy luv, the other would come along, burrow under the other's butt, and boot him out of my arms. Then the perpetrator would look at me and say "Hey, aren't you glad I got rid of that cad for you, baby? Show daddy some stritchy luvin'."

Zmei and Tucker have been disagreeing over pecking order lately. I think since Zmei now out weighs Tucker, Zmei's showing his tail. It was unnerving as all get out tonight though. I'm laying on my belly. Tucker enters my sleeve. Zmei enters my neck opening. They meet in the vicinity of my arm pit with their tails poking out of either opening in my shirt. Both tails start writhing angrily, and I can feel how tense they are. Then they squeak with a bloodthirsty battle cry and start rat balling in my shirt. With a loud decisive cry, they separate and bolt out of my shirt in two different directions. I've had rats tussling in my shirt before, but never when they seem genuinely ticked at each other. I'm going to end up in the hospital. Somebody's going to take a hunk out of my rib cage one of these days I'm sure. LOL :D

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha. Thanks.

I've had them on doxycycline (doxy) and enrofloxin (baytril) for their respiratory flare ups. Since this was post surgery, I had them on amoxicillin.

As for treating them, a teeny tiny feeding syringe poked into their cheek pouch and administered a bit at a time is what I've resorted to doing. I've tried mixing it in assorted foods and drinks from soy yogurt to jelly to ensure, but these two just won't have it. So now I hold them in a gentle 'claw' grip and spend a couple of minutes coaxing it down their throats while they give me dirty looks. I then bribe their silence (don't tell the other rats I do this to you) with yogis.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two of my other rats lick Baytril and Doxy right off the syringe and I have to hold tight to keep them from snatching it out of my hands. I think as xenophobic as rats are as often as not it's the stressful association in their minds that makes them not want to take it rather than the taste.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahaha! Okay, I officially love you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts