Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im from the uk / northern ireland and i go to alot of petshops because i like seeing how the animals are kept and where i am from we dont see exotic animals in our petshops and i have to say im really GLAD because i think its really cruel that petshops all over the world sell pups and kittens like come on they are in wee plastic crates and cages ? its cruel !!
i never new untill a few years ago that MOST of the USA sells puppies and kittens in petshops i'm only telling my point of view i know all animals are the same but at least other animal have space to be housed but pups? They need alot of room not a CAGE!!

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
I don't know that I would generalize all that much.

Most of the pet shops I go to, even the ones I don't care for, don't sell puppies and kittens. However, I never go into the large "chains" like Petco or Petsmart. I'm sure they sell a lot of dogs and cats, I just patronize the mom and pop type of store for my needs. Maybe a little more expensive, but well worth it for my piece of mind.

Some of them do things I don't like, ....for instance they sell Burmese Pythons to kids. However, the one I patronize the most only sells captive raised animals. He won't even sell marine fish because they are wild caught, sometimes in very ecologically damaging ways.

Bob

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
I don't think alot of pet stores sell dogs and cats anymore. Petsmart has some cats, but there supposed to be from a local shelter and there usually adults that have already been altered. And they usually have a notebook nearby with dogs that are in shelters. Yeah the cats are in cages, but there fairly decent size, they all have a litter box, bed, food and water, and some toys to play with. And they get people coming by and playing with them all day, so its not the idea setup, but its better than being in the shelter right?

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
I would say that a shelter is better than a petshop. But I don't know how the shelters work in the US, I just know how they work over here.

I'm SO glad it's illegal to sell animals like dogs and cats in petsops, in Denmark... Most petshops should not sell animals at all, and IMO it's a much bigger responsibility to take care of and sell a cat or a dog...
It's like racoons. They should not be sold from petshops. I don't like when big birds like aras get sold from petshops either...

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shelters are way better then petshops because at least they get walked and interacted with the petshops just take them out to let the buyers see thats not a life even if its just for a few days or weeks .

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I'm confused... are you saying your against selling just cats and dogs in petshops or exotics or both?

we dont see exotic animals in our petshops and i have to say im really GLAD because i think its really cruel that petshops all over the world sell pups and kittens
Either way, I've seen both sides of things, I've seen pet shops that take awesome care of their pets and some that were horrable. But not all pet stores just stick them in cages and never let them out. I've also seen great and not so great shelters. One shelter I know of is getting closed down because they were taking horrable care of the animals. Idealy I don't think you should base the care the animals are getting based on the place, because every place can be diffrent.

My main thing with pet store animals is where did they come from, because most of the time they come from mill breeders that I don't want to support, so I'd rather get my animals from breeders or shelters.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have never seen a Petsmart or Petco selling dogs or cats. Petsmart usually have cats, which are under the care of a shelter (usually the spca), and it's the shelter workers who care for them there. That is the case for every Petsmart I have ever been to.

I am not a fan of pet stores selling animals at all, but I absolutely hate the ones that sell dogs and cats.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
here where I live there are no pet shops that sale puppies or kitties except on shelter days...Petco and Petsmart both do shelter days where the shelters take pets to the store for a few hours...other than that the only pet store I ever saw with a puppt for sale was in LA...

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I meant Cats and Dogs but i was explaining that our petshops dont have them or Exotic's so i was really saying that all we get here is gerbils hammies rats rabbits and guinea pigs and a few reptile shops here yeah i do not agree with kittens or puppies because how could they be getting exercised in petshops ?
it was just a shock that USA has pups and kits in there petshops because i never new until about a year ago!! yeah some petstores like family run stores keep good care of their animals and i like petstores that has adoption sections but otherwise they dont care about the animals only how MUCH money they can make on them!
Sorry if i offended someone or make a total jerk of myself !

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
all the petshops here sell cats and dogs too. i hate it!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Well I've been to petshops that walk their puppies, or let them run around the store all day. Some shelters have a hard time getting all their animals exercise too since they're are usually a lot more animals in shelters than there is in pet shops.

Most pet stores around here that I go to don't sell puppies, kittens, or rabbits for their own profit. But they do have shelters bring animals into the store to try to get them adopted.

I think the important thing is that if you do know of a pet shop that sells animals but doesn't take proper care of them, or gets them from a mill or something, then don't shop at that store at all, not even for supplies. If no one bought things from them, they'd either have to get the hint and take better care of their animals (or stop selling them ) or go out of buisness.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I wish more people would care enough about small animals not to shop at stores that sell them. :( It's like they're telling people that it's fine to mill and abuse hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs with their money. One of the suppliers to Petsmart was caught on tape stomping small animals to death. And yet, people still shop there. A little life is apparently not as important as a cute puppy dog or kitty cat. :(

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Actually, petstores selling puppies/kittens is getting less and less common in the U.S.

The big chains like PetCo and PetsMart do NOT sell cats or dogs. In fact, the only petstores I can think of that do are crappy mall petstores (who don't care for any of their animals properly).

That's how it is in New York, anyway :).

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I wish more people would care enough about small animals not to shop at stores that sell them. It's like they're telling people that it's fine to mill and abuse hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs with their money. One of the suppliers to Petsmart was caught on tape stomping small animals to death. And yet, people still shop there. A little life is apparently not as important as a cute puppy dog or kitty cat.
I feel the same way - why do puppies and kittens create such an outrage while you almost never hear people speaking out against small animals being abused in pets shops. I think the small animals are being neglected more then the dogs and cats. I've seen rabbits and rats and hamsters in horrable conditions in pet stores that didn't sell dogs and cats. I don't even shop in petstores anymore mostly for this reason. I buy all my pet supplies online from the companies themselves instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Actually, petstores selling puppies/kittens is getting less and less common in the U.S.

The big chains like PetCo and PetsMart do NOT sell cats or dogs. In fact, the only petstores I can think of that do are crappy mall petstores (who don't care for any of their animals properly).

That's how it is in New York, anyway :).
that's what it is here too! the stores i mentioned that carry cats and dogs are in all the malls here! yeesh, tsk tsk

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow i never new that i though most of the US petstores sold puppies and kittens see i learn somthing new every day.
Yeah its a real shame about any animal at a petstore including fish and other pets but i blame people for not reporting any bad things they see at petstores because no-one knows what is really happening today as a lot of people say in the store its clean for people to go aww this is a nice store but we don't know what goes on out the BACK of the store but all i know is [email protected] get checked over every month they are really amazing yes they might make a few mistakes but thats because them imploye young people who don't have any experiance but in general they do care about there animals !

·
Registered
23 Posts
we live in ontario canada and every petstore around us sells cats and dogs and i totally agree it is horrible... the one nearest us has them behind glass so they dont even get any human contact and they dont even have a solid bottom cage!! im no expert by any means but that cant be good for their poor feet and they are completely overpriced considering all the people always giving kittens away for free...so what they grow old in a petstore and then get send to the animal shelter because petstores wont keep them after a certain age
:( its just very sad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts