Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've had them for a week, *they are five weeks old now* Lyrica the grey one is my Hubby's, Mac the Albino is my baby boy.
If you go to my page for albums you can see them. *New users can't post pics

I do know albinos already have hindered senses. However my little Mac while great with clinging, Can't find food or don't know its in front of him right away, Cant find the water. He barely drinks and I think its cuz he just sucks at figuring out its water. Ive waived tons of things in his face he doesn't notice them and continues to try to sniff the air all over all the time.

I've adjusted to speaking softly before touching him at all, he doesn't like doing anything except hiding in his cave, or under my hair. I've tried all kinds of food He will only eat strawberries n' cream oats. I feed them to him dry and baby pedialyte/water from dropper (forced) I'm really worried..

I want him to be like Lyrica, curious, having fun, exploring the stuff ratites love. Any advice on blind rats?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
he's also making weird sounds with his teeth..
if he's grinding them it means he's bruxxing and he's content (plus he's naturally grinding down his every-growing teeth).

Do you have a bowl or a waterbottle in your cage for the little PEW? Btw PEW"s only have marginally worse vision than your other boy who is black-eyed. Rats just have poor vision, and depend on their other senses more than anything.

He also may not be interested in taking anything from your hands yet, since he's so young.

Could you post a pic so I can see how old he really is? He might be younger than you think and will need some supplemental feeding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be able to post links or images your post count must be 20 or greater. I currently have 5 posts.

But if you click my name you can see them in the album on my profile.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
To be able to post links or images your post count must be 20 or greater. I currently have 5 posts.

But if you click my name you can see them in the album on my profile.
Got it.

Yeah they are not 5 weeks old, they are young, maybe 4 weeks?
What is their fur like? Wavy or just sparse? Where did you get these sweet little things?

I would put down a small bowl of water, and offer some supplemental foods like baby cereal and even Ensure or Boost if you can get some. Offer good leafy veggies, or even things like thawed frozen corn or peas, bits of carrots, etc. They look like they need feeding up :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have, I finally got them to eat veggies after three days of trying. thank goodness. He ate one pea!

This girl I knew had been kinda dropped with them from an abandoned breeder mamma and daddy who she had rescued and BWAR *brother wolf were i volunteer* wouldn't take them in so I said I'd take two of the babies and she said they were 4 weeks when we got them.

they have very soft thick fur. they are just so tiny, and my husband has had rats before and he also said he's never had one that small *thought the youngest he ever adopted before was a couple months old*

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just saw the photos of your new fur babies and they are just adorable...so sweet. I hope all goes well for little Mac.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got them formula and a little surringe to make the measuring easier, .5 ml of boost and .5 ml of formula/water mixture alright? how many times a day (Im so worried I won't do this right!) and I got baby "solids" soupy, organic peas & carrots, banana's & rice packets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah I've tried that all day, they won't touch it, the only thing i got them to eat out of a dish/lid is strawberries and cream oatmeal o_O ( they love it a lot.*)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
yeah I've tried that all day, they won't touch it, the only thing i got them to eat out of a dish/lid is strawberries and cream oatmeal o_O ( they love it a lot.*)

Give that to them for now...give them time to relax and try new things later on :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I just caught the two mating! I separated them immediately. :panic:
Now I have to get them some cage mates.

Does this say anything more about age maybe,?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey this is her husband. we looked into it, and we found out that they're not mating. they're having aggressive grooming play, which is typically between males, but since its just mac and his sister, she's playing along. running, jumping, nipping, but no screams at all, but they're chittering, so they're having fun.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Hey this is her husband. we looked into it, and we found out that they're not mating. they're having aggressive grooming play, which is typically between males, but since its just mac and his sister, she's playing along. running, jumping, nipping, but no screams at all, but they're chittering, so they're having fun.
Is it a male and a female?? If so, separate immediately! HOW did I miss this! *doh*

Females can and sometimes will get pregnant on their first heat at 5-5.5 weeks of age. You really are going to have to look into getting same sex cagemates for the two of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do! we've got the pattern down, *home all day this week* they don't do anything till 7. so for feeding and play times *under supervision* they can hang out together until I can find a breeder or get enough for the pet store. for some reason the pet stores around here sell them really expensive, maybe I can save a couple feeder rats?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Will do! we've got the pattern down, *home all day this week* they don't do anything till 7. so for feeding and play times *under supervision* they can hang out together until I can find a breeder or get enough for the pet store. for some reason the pet stores around here sell them really expensive, maybe I can save a couple feeder rats?
NO playtimes supervised or not. Rats mate in the blink of an eye, there's no way even the most experienced of us can stop it.

They have to live and have play times separated.

The only other option you have is to have the wee boy neutered when he's older so they can live together, but he would have to be about 3 months before the surgery, it can cost as much as gettingn a cat or dog done, and both rats would be alone until then.

Where are you located? There is usually a lot of rehomes, oops litters, and rescue situations most places.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We live in Asheville.

And when I said play times i'm talking when we are socializing them, as in being held and petted. they stay separated otherwise. anytime they have "free roam" they are separated. If they are in our hand they are always distracted by tickling fingers.

And I got a hold of a breeder who has a litter ready in feb. A decent price and I've known her for ages, she keeps her rats nice and healthy,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rescue/adoption agents out here charge for rats $30-80

(I would totally do that if I wasn't paying for prenatal care right now) Kinda limited on where our money goes, and the EmergCashStash, is as it's named. For emergencies, if the rats need to see a vet or something.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
The rescue/adoption agents out here charge for rats $30-80

(I would totally do that if I wasn't paying for prenatal care right now) Kinda limited on where our money goes, and the EmergCashStash, is as it's named. For emergencies, if the rats need to see a vet or something.
Wow that is a lot UNLESS these rats are fixed? then its totally worth it :)

glad to hear they don't get free time together...just don't ever let your guard down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, Happy to report the lil boy just had his 'drop'. They are growing fast and healthy and they are learning to like baths, And have learned to use the water feeder.

Things are going well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts