Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I WILL BE THE PROUD OWNER OF 3 (2 MALE, 1 FEMALE) DUMBO RATS!

I'm so excited for the babies! They are 3 1/2 weeks old and are still tiny!

What do you guys think: Is $20 a fair price for a baby dumbo that has already been vet checked and come with a note from the vet?

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
Some rats wean as early as 4 weeks, but it is pretty typical for them to wean at 4 1/2 weeks. Some go as long as 5 weeks, but you want to separate them no later than that because of accidental litter concerns.

I pay 20 dollars for my breeder rats. A fair range is between 10-20 dollars. I think it's a fair price. It discourages feeder purchases.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Congratulations! Just make sure that they are fully weaned before you take them home--3 1/2 weeks is definitely not enough time with the mother. I'd wait at least until 4.5 weeks to separate them for good. :)

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
CongRATS!

Rats usually wean at about 4 weeks,but I personally don't separate till 5 weeks. As mentioned they should be separated at 5 weeks anyway to prevent pregnancies.

Do you have another female rat? I noticed you were only getting 1 female...she should have a buddy too.

· Registered
92 Posts
Congratulations. Pictures whent hey arrive home!

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to take the almost 5 weekers instead even though the little guys were cute! I just posted another post though, and because I am newer at this I'd love if everyone could please comment. I'm worried. Why isn't it easy to just scoop em up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.