Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the last 3 days murrys poo has been kinda squishy o.o i know its not good that it is but other then that shes eating and acting normal and we cant afford to take murry to the vet so anyone know what i should do?

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Stop feeding all types of treats. Only hay, pellets and fresh water.
You could try giving some zoolac or fiberplex (hop it's something you have in the US).

But when it's that mild, it should do the trick :)

And the you slowly re-introduce treats.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
How is he?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shes still acting normal but having the wet poo, shes eating and playing n not getting teats (which has made her a lil snippy) but other hten that shes fine o.o its so weird

·
1,530 Posts
You could try giving her some grissin.
Or toast some bread. It needs to be very dry.
Just give her a bit once or twice a day for a couple of days.

·
chinchilla breeder
321 Posts
At this point if it has been going on more than a day or two a vet visit is a very good idea. If they have diarrhea long enough it can cause a rupture in the intestines.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
At this point if it has been going on more than a day or two a vet visit is a very good idea. If they have diarrhea long enough it can cause a rupture in the intestines.
I think you're thinking of a blockage.

·
chinchilla breeder
321 Posts
No I am not thinking blockage. I just lost a female who was being treated for diarrhea and the irritation from 2 days of diarrehea caused a rupture in her intestines. She did not have any blockage and was under veterinary care. I held her in my arms as the vet injected a lethal dosage into her heart to put her too sleep due to the rupture.

I also a few years ago had a female survive a rupture of her intestines into her vaginal canal, also from irritation from diarrhea that she was under care for. This female is still alive and with me in my retired females cage. If the diarrehea is severe it can irritate the intestinal wall causing rupture.

It happens I have experianced it twice now in 13 year of owning breeding and showing. I have seen others experiance it. Rupture can be caused by diarrhea.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Wow those sound serious. In order for the intestine to rupture into her vaginal canal, it would have had to rupture into the body cavity and then rupture her reproductive tract as well (since the intestine does not connect to the vaginal canal in any way, shape, or form)

·
chinchilla breeder
321 Posts
It ruptured where her anus and vagina meet and fused during treatment. She is alive and well today with my other non-breeding girlies. The vet gave her a 10% chance of survival but Cristine is a fighter. She does get flushed out daily, and isn't quite right as she deficates out the wrong hole but the tear was near enough to the openings that she survived and isn't phased at all.

There was a concern for infection but none has set in, in the 5 years. she is checked periodically for a uterine infection but the healing her body did is wonderful. Actually near the anus the Vaginal canal and last bit of intestines are very close.

when the vet and I realized what had happened my vet at the time (I have since switched) actually put a q-tip into the anus and we could see it poked through to the vaginal opening. In hindsight I wish I had gotten photos of the whole procedure but I was so horrified at the time for my poor girl. her poops now come out mostly from her anus like they are supposed to but for a long time I had to clean her out multiple times a day as her vaginal opening would fill with feces.

I really almost put Cristine down when that happened but she still had that fight in her and the spark in her eye and I am very very glad I didn't. She now lives with my dwarf female (trooper) a tri pod ( Pima) and a retired female (Meg) in a 6ft tall cage where they can all live out there lives in peace being loved.

Bella on the other hand, her rupture was up higher and was very very severe. The best and only humane thing to do was put her to sleep and out of pain. It is still a sore spot as it only happened a week ago and that girl was special to me. She was born the first day my now husband had ever told me he loved me.

It just needs to be known that diarrhea can do just as much damage as a blockage. between dehydration and loss of nutrients from food, it doesn't take very long to take a toll on their little bodies.

·
chinchilla breeder
321 Posts
I should clarify the area of issue in Cristine is right near the openings. where there is just a wall of tissue separating the vaginal opening and the anal oping. It is not way up in her intestines.

·
1,530 Posts
Sounds very unlikly, or like something else is wrong.
I'm going to check with some experts anyway :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts