Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in love with this one little kitten at the shelter I volunteer at, she is a 14 week old, tortie girl named Delilah. See for yourself- http://www.adoptapet.com/pet2719693.html

She's the sweetest thing ever and this Thursday when i go there I am totally requesting to socialize with her! I want her so so mad. She's my Delilah Lol.

ps If anyone is looking for a cat or dog...Arf.net is the place to check!

·
Registered
190 Posts
i don't think your mom is going to get you another cat but i don't know your moms cool so she might. you should hang up a poster like you did with the dogs if you didn't yet.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I plan on it lol. Well I asked her and she said yes she's very cute, but e can't get a cat because of housing rules, I said well what if I asked and they said we could get antoher cat? Then she said that would be different.

·
Registered
190 Posts
oic. are you going to ask?? you should.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
How old are your current cats? Cats don't like change and a lot of the time they won't accept a new cat, although they would most likely accept a kitten more than an older cat.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? I never knew that? Stupid adoptive people, they said an older cat would be better for them. Oscie is 3 and Scout is 16, but I doubt I would get a new cat anyway. When we got Oscar in March Scout was mad at first but now they get along most of the time, and usually Scout is head of the house and he's older and smaller...:lol:

Sam- yes I am going to ask, soon!

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I witnessed first hand the socializing and introduction of new cats in my old house. My old roomate used to "save the world" by taking in as many cats as she could. Keep in mind, unlike her, cats develop their own hierchy order. When too many cats are introduced, the tensions and cat fights abound. They generally lose some personality traits if theey feel like there's too many cats around. Each cat needs its space, remember. Although Delilah is cute and a short intro wouldnt hurt to see how readily she's accepted, I'd certainly suggest looking into the cat's perspective to see how YOU would like it. Catch my drift? I dunno if this helped

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Really? I never knew that? Stupid adoptive people, they said an older cat would be better for them. Oscie is 3 and Scout is 16, but I doubt I would get a new cat anyway. When we got Oscar in March Scout was mad at first but now they get along most of the time, and usually Scout is head of the house and he's older and smaller...:lol:

Sam- yes I am going to ask, soon!

With a younger cat the older ones will feel less threatened.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True. Thanks guys. I guess I wouldn't like it, but then lots of people have 3 cats right? Would my cats feel stressed or something? I'm starting to not want her as much, but I still do, she's got a great personality.

Aww, if I got her and messed things up I would feel so ashamed...:confused:

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Yes they could be stressed or they might not be, it really depends on the cats. If your cats are already settled and have their places I wouldn't add another cat. You need to think about how your current cats will feel over how much you want another cat.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that, thanks. I will not be adding her to my family as of right now. Hopefully she gets adopted soon so I stop fantasizing over her!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I witnessed first hand the socializing and introduction of new cats in my old house. My old roomate used to "save the world" by taking in as many cats as she could. Keep in mind, unlike her, cats develop their own hierchy order. When too many cats are introduced, the tensions and cat fights abound. They generally lose some personality traits if theey feel like there's too many cats around. Each cat needs its space, remember. Although Delilah is cute and a short intro wouldnt hurt to see how readily she's accepted, I'd certainly suggest looking into the cat's perspective to see how YOU would like it. Catch my drift? I dunno if this helped
I agree with that 100%
P.S. If the house is big and roomie i don't think it would hurt but if its not that big then the first cat might feel like he's losing its territory

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Updates-well she got adopted.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I used to have 4 cats in a 4 bedroom home, so perfectly roomy enough for 4 and it was fine.

IF you ever want a cat again, get a kitten. Since you have males, they should accept a kitten no problem. Females tend to have much more trouble accepting a new kitten in general, especially another female. I always advise people to get a male if they already have a female and aren't sure if she'll be nice or not. And get a kitten as young as possible, because the older cat won't see it as a threat. Since the hierarchy usually sets up with age, a kitten will not be a threat at all.

I had a 17 year old male, a 8 year old female, a 6 year old female and a 5 year old male.

The two females do NOT like each other. For two reasons: my 8 year old was the youngest cat in the house, and suddenly the attention went to the little kitten a bit more. she didn't like that at ALL.
And the kitten played with her and she didn't want to.

At first the older one would always hiss at the kitten, and now they've learned to get along but they still play pranks: the younger one (Tia) is drinking, and Fifille will walk very slowly behind her and then RUN and hit her with her paws (no claws out) and run away just to scare her! Tia is usually nice, but Fifille plays a lot of pranks and bullies her a little!

My older male died recently, and Fifille became really mean to Tia again because she wanted to show SHE was now the boss of the house.

However the two girls had no problem accepting the little boy, and they play with him and love him!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awww how sweet! Its just everybody was saying how 3 and 4 cats isn't so good, because you need lots of room and I have a itty biity 4 bedroom, but that makes me feel better :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
No, not that we were saying it wasnt good, we were only cautioning that there MAY be problems. Try it out before you take a new kittie home for good thats all :)

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a bad picture on my phone, but I will put it on...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts