Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might not seem like much but just the other day my Nazy rat looked like he was choking and having a hard time breathing. I got him & me into the car and while I was driving down to the vet I called and knew I was coming. When I got there, I had 3 dogs and 2 cats infront of me in line. I was about to go to the front and was going to hop knowone would mind but when the desk woman (someone new??) saw me and all I hurd was "Nazarath is here!" then the vet walked out braught me into a room and put nazy on hair and gave him an inhaler. She came in and talked to me about what could be making his breathing so hard. She said that he could have an absess on his lungs :'(. She said we can x-ray to be sure and of course I said yes. All of the techs were excited because I guess this was their first rattie x-ray LOL!! so that made the mood a lot easyer. After the x-ray she saw something that could have been an absess but it was shaped wrong so we believe it's a fold in his lung that has fluid in it. So he's still on his meds and this was $77.00 bucks later, the new front desk woman said "I would never spend that much on a rodent but thats just me, It's great you love them so much" I didn't know how to feel about that but anyways just had to share the snappyness of my vet for my little boy :D.

· Registered
243 Posts
What a lovely vet, I'm sorry your little one is so sick.
I don't understand people who look at pets so objectively, like disposable objects....
When it comes to a friend or a loved one, you'd do anything for them - that goes for pets too.

There are still, sadly, some people who believe that you can "just buy a new one" - shows how consumerist Western society has become. I read about somebody suggesting to somebody on another forum that she kill her rat rather than get it treated at a vet because "you can always get another one at the pet shop".

Sickening, isn't it?

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That turns my stomac :(, Sure they can be small little guys. the are not dogs but they are such great little ones!! I don't know what I would do without all of my rats to keep my busy... I'd probley try to get more LOL.

· What the shell! :)
141 Posts
That sounds like a great vet! That was kind of mean for someone that works there to say she wouldn't have brought a rat in! Don't worry, my rodents are just as special to me too! I would have done the same thing. Is his little fold in his lungs fixable? Poor lil guy :(

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking if he isn't better by the time i'm out of meds which is a nother 2 weeks we're going to go back and see if there isn't more we can do. I hope he just gets better, I'm tired of my baby being sick, I'm sure he is too.

· Registered
243 Posts
Has he been checked for symptoms of myco?

· Registered
243 Posts
Poor bub.
Well I really hope that he makes a swift recovery.
How's he getting on at the moment?
Touille (Too-ee) is in bed fast asleep at the moment bless him.
He gave my boyfriend a big lick on the lips today, huge break through.
I think this is the most attention he's received in his life.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
What a nice vet! I hope your little guy recovers okay! He is in my thoughts.

My vet is awesome too.She is gentle with the ratties and talks to them and when I had to have my most favorite rat ~Blueberry~ euthanized,she took the time out to send me a sympathy card.My rats seem to like her too,because she is so nice! :)

I have had people give me comments similar to that and while it irks me,I normally hold my tongue and just do as much educating and promoting as I can! I could not even imagine NOT having a rat in my life.They are so sweet.

Rats are love! :heart:

· Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,936 Posts
It is wonderful to have a vet you like so much. I am lucky that way as well. I love my dog/cat vet and the bunny vet is amazing!
As for pets being disposable - I HATE THAT!!! Heck we almost took Greta to the vet last year. After we got her she came down with anchor worms. They weren't falling off as quickly as I thought they should. My bunny vet also does fish so I spoke with him about it. He told me to wait a week longer and if they didn't fall off to bring her in and he would remove them. Luckily they fell off. I was not really sure how to transport her to the vets. Most people said to flush her! She is such a nice little fish. She makes me laugh all the time. She gets so excited to see you.
I just don't understand how people could be so careless with a life!

· Registered
2,593 Posts
I love both my vets! I have one in my hometown where I live during summers, and one in the town where I go to school. They are both really good with rats, and I trust them. When I brought Jack in, my vet called me a week later to ask how he was doing.

I always get weird looks from the other customers when I have a rat at the vet. They don't get that we wouldn't think of NOT taking our babies to the vet. If one of my guys died because I didn't do everything I could to help him, I'd never forgive myself.

· Registered
243 Posts
Well you're perfectly capable of it, so if that's your goal go out there and get it! Believe in yourself and you will achieve your dreams, whatever the odds seem. Believe me on that one :)
xoxoxox

To good vets!

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To Good Vets!!!

I'm already lifting weights :p, I told our vet one day that I wanted to become and vet and since then she "makes" me do everything and teaches me a lot!! it's great!! :D. Then at the shelter I voluneer at I give wormer, kennel coagh ( knew how to spell it I swear!), and west nile :p. So yea getting a small start going :D.

· Registered
243 Posts
It's *cough* lol ;)
That's really great! Being proactive is the best thing that you can do, and practical experience is usually, in these circumstances, better than a textbook (although I will never say a bad word against a book).

I'm going to do a bit of volunteer work over the summer myself. I don't think I could handle being a vet personally, but I do believe in doing my bit. I have some great animal shelters and vets near by that do so much good work for the community...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.