Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ten gallon tank with two neon tetras.
This tank has an air pump and a filter.

What would you recomend I put in the tank with them.

I have always thought dwarf goaramis were beautiful so I was thinking of them, petsmart says tetras and gourami's are good together but I don't trust my petsmart.

· Registered
176 Posts
I have had success with the following as companions for neons:

- glowlight tetras
- dwarf gouramis
- corydoras catfish
- red rasboras
- betta

(not all of them together at the same time)

I have found that neons do better (and look nicest) in groups of at least 5-7 so that they can form a school. They appreciate clean, acidic (5.5-6.2 pH) water. Good luck. <-Steve->

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I have had success with the following as companions for neons:

- glowlight tetras
- dwarf gouramis
- corydoras catfish
- red rasboras
- betta

(not all of them together at the same time)

I have found that neons do better (and look nicest) in groups of at least 5-7 so that they can form a school. They appreciate clean, acidic (5.5-6.2 pH) water. Good luck. <-Steve->
how many dwarf gouramis did you have in one tank? what was the sexing? im curious bc i would love to have a gourami tank..but i m afraid of compatibility

· Registered
176 Posts
I just had a pair of gouramis. The male made a bubble nest and everything, but unfortunately nothing ever came of it. Even though they seem really peaceful, the males can sometimes become aggressive enough to injure or kill the female... so you're right, you definitely have to keep an eye on them... especially if you're trying to get them to breed. As far as mixing them with other fish, you can do it as long as there are plenty of plants and places of refuge. They just seem happier that way. :) <-Steve->

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou for all of the advice!

I am thinking of getting one more neon tetra, and two male guoramis, because I don't want them to breed.

I was also thinking of getting a corydoras catfish to go in that tank. Do you think that would be a good setup?

· Registered
2,229 Posts
two male gouramis is not a good idea...esp for a 10gal..its very small for even one..the two would fight for sure..some people have a hard time keeping them in a 65gal tank

· Registered
176 Posts
Hey Christinadancer, have you ever tried Pearl Gouramis (Trichogaster leerii)? They're a bit bigger than Dwarf Gouramis, but I think they're prettier - especially when in their breeding colors... and they're a more peaceful species. I don't think you'd have any trouble at all with your neons. The ten gallon tank might be a little bit on the small size but since they are a "labyrinth" fish, if you're regular with partial water changes, you'd probably be successful. <-Steve->

pearl gouramis - Google Image Search

· Registered
2,229 Posts
many gourami keepers consider a 20gal to be the bear minimum for a reg sized gourami..the pearl gourami can get anywhere from 4-4.5in and that is a relatively large fish for such a small aquarium
Pearl Gourami Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

you could a few female bettas in the tank..they come in so many variety of colors..a few kuli loaches..like 4 or so..very cool looking fish...you could do platies..could do a molly or so..guppies.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I would actually just get more neon tetras since they are schooling fish that like to be in groups of at least five or six.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.