Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So latley Myself like im sure most of you have noticed that paw-talk has been slow,I hope know one minds me posting this, I wanted to create this thread,to hear from other current members to get new ideas on how we can maybe get some new members on this site, Paw-talk is an amazing place exspecailly for new animal owners, or people just looking for advice, So does anyone have some ideas as to how we can get people, to join our wonderful paw-talk world ?:)

one of the ideas I came up with is maybe a few of us can hang flyers around local shelters, exspecially since animals are being adopted there with alot of first time owners ,we could post the flyers talking about paw talk, this way maybe theyd have somewhere to turn to when needing advice ect. Does anyone else have any ideas . :) Looking forward to your guys ideas!

P.s Im Sorry to any mods , if I posted this in the wrong section, Please repost elsewere if I did thanks.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was thinking something cute like this can be posted at the local shelters ect.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I like it. Maybe vet offices too. I saw it on you FB already

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll post a link in my blog and what not.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I like it too!! The jungle animals is sort of ironic and the grammar is a little off (critical opinion!! sorry!) but I think its eye catching! I will post to facebook :)

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
That's a cute poster. I hope it helps!

I belong to a lot of pet forums, but I really couldn't say what makes some take off and others just dribble along. They each seem to have their own atmosphere. Some are very cliquey. Like attracts like, you know?

Most of the ones I am a member of are fairly busy, but there is a cats only forum that is even quieter than this one. In fact I am the only person who posts there with any regularity.

Some are really welcoming, there are a couple I almost never go back to because the people don't seem very friendly.

Paw talk has a lot of activity in the small animal forums. I don't know much about ratties and buns and chins and so on, so I don't usually reply in the threads, but I do enjoy reading about them.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Yeah, I'm the opposite... I like the small animal/reptile forums, but I get kinda bored with the dog/cat forums. There's a bearded dragon forum that I'm on a lot, but that's about it.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Cute poster. Hope it works.

I post a lot in another pet forum. It is friendly and active there. Once upon a time,Paw Talk was my favorite pet forum...but since it is now dead...I rarely check in anymore.

I have posted links to Paw-Talk on Facebook and a few other sites,but people who say they will join never do...so I give up. I miss the old members and I miss when PT was active. I miss the good o'l PT days. I doubt it will ever be the same.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it just totally isnt fun no more new members arent staying old members are leaving, just trying to find away to spunk up the place and bring back old and bring new members, i know the spelling and grammer suck, its not my first langauge :) so if you want to correct it your welcome to

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
(Nibbler, I love your new siggie!)

How long has this forum been in existence? Forums do go through changes and phases. I've been participating in pet forums since 1998.

The cat forum I mentioned earlier, I sometimes feel about it like Vanilla Rat does about this one. I get frustrated because there is so little...activity.

I try starting new threads, fun threads you know, to get people sharing their cat stories, but hardly ever get any replies. I even (I'll admit it here) feel resentful sometimes because it seems the only time members come in is when they have problems and I always respond to their problems. But then..when I have a crisis no one ever responds or offers support. Kind of hurts my feelings.

But sometimes, when they come in with problems they say things like "sorry I only come in when I have a problem" and I say "Oh don't worry, we are glad to help and glad to see you whenever you come in whatever the reason". But what else can I say, you know?

Sorry to vent here about there, but some of you probably know how it feels, since you are experiencing the same thing here.

That forum lost a lot of people to facebook I think. I don't do facebook, I prefer forums, so I lost touch with some good friends. :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I'm more into forums than facebook too... My life isn't interesting enough to update people about multiple times per day, and no one would care about my pet pictures!! XD

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
How long has this forum been in existence? Forums do go through changes and phases. I've been participating in pet forums since 1998.
Quite a while! To give you an idea, I've been here since 2004 and it had already been around for at least a couple of years (if I remember correctly).

Having been here for so long, I can confidently say that like most forums, it does go through spikes of activity (and then of course inactivity). I don't think it's going to "die" or anything.

It's normal for "older" members to reminisce and miss old friends. That happens even on active forums. I definitely miss many of the older members myself, some of which I haven't seen in 5+ years :(. If I posted their usernames, most of you probably wouldn't recognize them :lol:.

But that's the thing with internet forums, people move on and members change. The best thing to do is to stay positive and active :). I know a few people have mentioned contests. If any of you have a good contest suggestion, post it here! :) Maybe we can do a contest soon. I don't have any prize ideas, though.

In the past we've had "Chat Nights". They're not easy to pull off with so many time zones but that could be worth a shot.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I joined this forum back in 2006 and it was quite active then for a couple of years. In 2008-2009 is when I noticed a lot of people stopped posting. When you are here as long as I have been,you notice these changes and it sucks.

Somebody - are you aware of "TheCatSite"? I used to be on there when I had cats. It is a VERY active cat forum,lots of members and lots of topics and discussions. If you don't know about it,you should check it out.

In another (non-pet) related forum I am on,they have a weekly chat night...it is every Friday night and is kept open for hours. That way anyone can join in,regardless of where they live. So that is one idea.

And in another pet forum I am in (Pets-N-People),they have photo contests and stuff all of the time. I know we used to have contests like that here. Maybe starting some up again?

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I joined this forum back in 2006 and it was quite active then for a couple of years. In 2008-2009 is when I noticed a lot of people stopped posting. When you are here as long as I have been,you notice these changes and it sucks.

Somebody - are you aware of "TheCatSite"? I used to be on there when I had cats. It is a VERY active cat forum,lots of members and lots of topics and discussions. If you don't know about it,you should check it out.

In another (non-pet) related forum I am on,they have a weekly chat night...it is every Friday night and is kept open for hours. That way anyone can join in,regardless of where they live. So that is one idea.

And in another pet forum I am in (Pets-N-People),they have photo contests and stuff all of the time. I know we used to have contests like that here. Maybe starting some up again?
I am an active member of The Cat Site, thanks :)

They have "caption this" contests, and game threads, but I don't participate in contests or games.

You guys might like the "Caption this" contest? Someone posts a picture and everyone posts what they think the caption should be. Like I said I don't participate in those, it's too busy for me, so I don't know how or what one "wins". :)

I might participate here though, since this is a much quieter forum.

The What are you reading thread is a good one, I've gotten lots of good book ideas from that thread, maybe we could start one of those here too.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
PS I've been browsing the forum a little. I noticed that there is a forum supposedly for contests and games, but it specifies that only moderators are allowed to start these contests or games. I also notice that nothing has been started in years.

So...I went ahead and started my own "Caption this" game. It is not a contest. I just posted some pics of one of my cats and asked people to think up captions as to what might be going through her mind at the time. Maybe I should have put the thread in the "Games and contests" forum, but it DOES say it is "for mods" <shrug>

Since I know her, I pretty much know what she was thinking in each one, but anyone else is free to offer their ideas. :)

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f75/caption-this-game-59006.html

Then other people can post their pics and ask for captions.

And what do you think, should we ask for the caption this thread to be made a sticky, or should each person who wants to play start a new thread?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a question...where are the admins?

i sent a message to Jade and Paw-Talk about ideas for doing some cross-promoting and i havent heard anything back. i looked at the admins stats and it appears as though they dont post here anymore. the last time Paw-Talk posted here was 2006. Jade posted a few days ago but before that was October.

are there any admins still involved with this site?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking we need some new mods/admins. Sasami and Dragonrain are the only mods that post here anymore!

And I can make a prize for a canstest, if that's OK with everyone. I'll make the winner a picture to put in their siggy, like mine (But with their pets of course, LOL).

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can make a prize for a canstest, if that's OK with everyone. I'll make the winner a picture to put in their siggy, like mine (But with their pets of course, LOL).
that sounds like an awsome idea :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
i have a question...where are the admins?

i sent a message to Jade and Paw-Talk about ideas for doing some cross-promoting and i havent heard anything back. i looked at the admins stats and it appears as though they dont post here anymore. the last time Paw-Talk posted here was 2006. Jade posted a few days ago but before that was October.

are there any admins still involved with this site?
Unfortunately, you're correct, none of the admins are all that active. Nothing we can do about that, though :(.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I like the contest idea. The caption one is good. Weekly chats are good. Um, theme pics are neat, so contest for spring/eater would be cool.Possibilities are endless. Unfrtunately I do come here daily but usually with time in between studying or something.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts