Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Ilia, 21, I have lots of animals and I'll be honest that I need to know more. I do home healthcare and my schedule's odd so sometimes I get to be home a lot and other time's I'm hardly home for a moment it seems. I've got someone living with me though to help keep the pets company and fed/watered if I'm gone.

I ran across this site earlier because I've got an emergency with my hamster (I found some answers here, I'm pretty sure it's an infection. I'm going to try the Bausch and Lomb soothing eye wash remedy I've read on quite a few pages and sites and if it doesn't seem to help in a day or two I've got a list of vets I'm calling in the morning to have one set up to go to). I think it's amazing there's a place like this and I'm excited to learn!

I've got 4 cats (2 of them I'm taking care of for my brother until he finds a new place..they were our mom's until she died), a hamster, a bunny (I'm thinking of finding her a new home though where she can get more attention since I work so much), and lots of fish. They're all such active lil buggers lol I love them so much and I have to remind myself I can't have more pets for tons of reasons. I've always loved animals.

So...anyways, hello all!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George (the hammy) had to be put down today. I decided not to wait and see if he got better and it just broke my heart to find out that the vet was extremely sure he had a tumor in his jaw. I knew he was right because the lump was just too hard and when I tried to clean the pouch there was nothing there. It's just such a bad day...I loved my hammy and miss him dearly but there's the added pain of flashbacks because my mom died a few years ago from a tumor in her jaw (baffled the doctors because there should have been no reason at all for her to have developed a tumor there). I just want to crawl in a hole and die :( but I can't because I have my other pets to think about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am so sorry ilidawn, my condolences. It is never easy to let go of any of our loved ones. I am sure your lil hammy is in a better place now.

This too shall pass and your other wee ones need you more than ever.

Xoxoxo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you, I feel bad that a part of me wanted to be selfish and keep him during his last weeks (the vet said he'd be lucky to live a few more weeks) but I just couldn't make him suffer more than he already had. The vet was absolutely wonderful though and I'm grateful for his honesty and caring attitude because it made it a bit easier. My friends want me to bring hammy to their place tonight and we'll have a memorial for him.

It's sweet that my cats know I'm sad because they're crowded around me snuggling up to me like as if they're saying "we know you're sad mommy, we love you" :)

Edit: Oh, I should also add that George was getting close to 2 years (if not more, he was adopted not bought) so the vet said it was getting close to his time, it's just sad he had to go this way instead of in his sleep as an old hammy.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Welcom to PT!

Aww, I'm so sorry about your hamster. My last hamster (before Theo) had to be put down because of a tumor too. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks and I'm sorry about your hamster too..it's hard I think to find out it's a tumor because for some reason, at least to me, I didn't want to believe it would be something like that.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I am also very sorry for your loss.
It is never easy.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Welcome :) I know I sent condolences in another thread I never saw your intro thread yet. I'd love to see piccies!!:D How about a local rescue for your bunny?? Too many people get bunnies for the wrong reasons, and I would hate to see yours go to someone who didn't deserve her :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if there are any bunny rescues near Lincoln, Nebraska..I'll have to look into it again. I love her so much and it's a good memory because my mom and I adopted her from the humane society but with how much I work I really think she would be happier somewhere else. I'd rather her be happier than keep her just to be selfish. *shudders* ugh..I think I'd snap and kill someone if she were used as bunny food (sorry that probably makes me sound bad lol)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
No it's perfectly okay to not want your bunny to go for food. Obviously, but there are no laws against it. Humane Services didn't check up on you with her so they don't care where she is. At least do a quick check on rescues, no kill rescues work best for bunnies bc the people who handle it are trying to make sure they go to a home prepared for a house bunny's needs. www.rabbit.org is the go-to site. I think there is a link in there going to rescues :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts