Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have one rodent now. One hamster. My female mouse died and soon after my male mouse died as well. I still have the mouse babies, but without their mother I doubt they will live. This is so depressing. On top of that, I was forced to give away my 3 dwarf hamsters because they were breeding constantly like my mice were and my mom hates having rodent litters constantly I dont know why it bothers her because she's not the one caring for them! It makes me upset thinking sasukes gonna be all alone unless my friend buys another male hamster to live with him. but I had to give them sakura and bijou together and sasuke separately to friends I had no choice because if I gave them all together sasuke would keep breeding with the females. Well on the bright side I got 2 Sheltie pups and named them after my dwarf hamsters Sakura and sasuke but I'm getting them spayed/neutered soon so they can't breed! Well I'm hoping to get more animals soon (no more rodents though besides syrian hamsters:( ) because it's awful lonely with only four! I was thinking about getting a turtle or maybe a pair of rabbits..:confused:

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sixteen.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Hmm..I'm sorry about all that. Poor mice, I'm sorry that they passed away. How are the babies doing??

Hopefully your hamsters have good homes with your friends. I don't think it's healthy for them to breed constantly? I wouldn't think it is for the females - having babies takes a lot out of them I'm sure.

Shelties are cute. I'd love to see pictures of the pups if you have any.

I only have my Zeus right now, and some frog tadpoles - I'd love to have more pets but right now isn't the time. I know it's nice to be surrounded by animals, but make sure your ready to adopt more. I don't know much about keeping turtles as pets - but I assume they're expensize with all the lights and the tank and all that. Rabbits are a lot of work too! Please make sure you do your research before adopting rabbits. So many people get them thinking they are a low maintence pet - and then when they relize they were wrong, the poor bunnies end up in animal shelters - or worse! If, after you do your research, you still think rabbits are for you, I encourage you to adopt them from a shelter instead of buying from a pet store. And please please please get them spayed/neutered! There are already so many poor little homeless bunnies in shelters!

· Registered
50 Posts
You should be feeding the baby mice every 2 hours with kmr kitten formula. Keep the baby mouse cage on a human heating pad set on low, and after you feed them rub their butts with a warm wet washcloth to stimulate urination and defication. Ive seen mice weaned as early as 3 weeks but i would still give them some low fat dog kibble for extra protein.

Turtles are very expensive and very high maitenance. They need 10 gallons per inch of turtle and they need a flourescent uvb bulb so they can absorb calcium and a basking lamp so they can digest their food. Since its illegal for anyone in the US to sell any turtle under 4 inches in size, you will probably get a good 6 inch turtle. Welcome to the new year to research on different turtle's needs.

Rabbits are also alot of work, i have 11 of them.
House Rabbits - Behavior, Care, Rescue, Adoption, Education | House Rabbit Society to research more on rabbits.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone. I am trying my best to keep the mouse babies alive. I have been feeding them kitten formula. Unfortunately I have to sell them ALL and then I'll have two empty mouse cages. (the dwarfs lived in a mouse cage) Does anyone want a mouse cage or a few baby mice?.(once they're big enough of course.) I'd recommend a same gender pair/trio so the same thing doesnt happen again. Yes my shelties are keeping me busy but do they ever help in cheering me up! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.