Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is in honor to the first rat I ever had. He opened the doors for me to welcome more into my life, but he will always hold a very special place in my heart and memories. While I wish we could have seen his 3rd year together the 2 years we spent together were full of love. Even though he lived a life full of love, treats, and friends it did not begin that way, so I think it appropriate to tell his story now that he is gone.

He was born a feeder rat, marked for death at birth. At the time my fiance fed live to his young snakes, I cried every time but I knew that animals need to eat to survive. That didn't last long however. We both went to get his carpet python the pup for the week and, trying to break myself from crying during time, I chose the pup myself. We arrived home and I steeled myself against the tears, but the python rejected the blind helpless pup. We both were thrown for a loop, we couldn't just let him die for nothing. That is when the mothering instinct kicked in and I took action. I took a spare tank and modified it into a nest with a makeshift hot water bottle underneath. Then I went out and got puppy milk and little rubber nipples meant for small animals that I attached to a syringe. My parents were totally against it, but I held them back under the guise that he would be fed to the snake when it was hungry again. I spent my days feeding him and making him go potty. Then one of his eyes cracked open for the first time and I stared into his little eyes and smiled. At that moment I named him Bion, which was derived from Bio which meant 'life'.There was no going back now, I was momma and I was ready to fight tooth and nail to protect him.

He grew stronger day by day and soon he was a bouncy young rat eating his solid food. One by one, starting with my fiance, they all fell for his quirky cuteness. There was no getting rid of this cute boy. My stepfather, who was most against it, was soon putting the tiny pup into his chest pocket and watch him as he peered out. I babysat for my sister and bought his first real cage from martinscages, but I wasn't done there. I did my research and knew he needed a cagemate. so once again I defied everyone's wishes and bought a young dumbo rat I named Squee to grow up with him. He grew up with the best I could offer, me learning all the way. Things weren't always well though. Before his first year, Squee received an injury in his eye from a new rat I had introduced and had to separate from that point on forever. he died of it an hour before his vet visit and Bion was never the same. He was depressed for so long I knew I had to do something, so I went and found him 2 young boys to be his new litter mates. He jumped back immediately from his sadness, still never quite the same and all was well till Squeak and Bob grew up.

The black hooded, Bob, suffered from severe aggression and after cleaning numerous bloody gashes and watching him go in and out of severe breathing difficulties, some close to death, I chose to have him pts to end his suffering peacefully without bloodshed. Now all that remained was Squeak and Bion, and all was well until now.

My little boy has left me to go on to better places, perhaps a new life filled with even more joy and happiness.I will always miss you my dear Bion, and your passing has made room for me to make another rat happy during their life. I wish our time could have been forever, and maybe we'll meet again one day. R.I.P. my little boy.

The Memorial Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsPpTgTSzfM&feature=g-upl **Youtube took the audio off >.<, if anyone wants the vid with sound just pm me and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What a great story.. even tho it had some sad moments. It sounds like he had a wonderful human and a great life!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, it was a long hard learning experience but I did the best I could and treated all of my babies with all the love I had to offer.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thank you for sharing this, so we could learn about Bion, and I thank the gods you saved him from being snake food. He was just such a beautiful boy, and you gave him a second chance at having a loving life. Being a non-snake person and a huge fan of rats and their wonderful, loving personalities, I could never watch a rat being fed to a snake without screaming in horror and trying to save the rat from that kind of end, so I am biased. I am glad you did it. He was just a darling, so sweet faced. I am sure Bion is very happy up above and in peace. I know he is looking down at you and saying, "Thank you for saving me and giving me love."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it was very hard for me to handle, as I love all animals, but Bion changed all that. From that point on my fiance didn't have the heart to feed live anymore after becoming attached to Bion and we switched to frozen feeders which benefited everyone, including our snakes. They are picky, and we'd end up starting a foster care for over a 100 rejected feeders, so everything worked out in the end thanks to Bion.

I understand how you feel about snakes though, not many people like them. Then again a lot of people don't like rats either, so sometimes I have to deal with bias from both ends and even both from a single person.Thank you for being kind and respectful about it though :).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I understand that everything has to eat but I am glad you saved him and switched to frozen. he is truly a beautiful boy I love the first picture and his story is so touching :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ahh, I am SO glad you switched to frozen and not live. I remember researching snakes in the past and reading that live feeding is not neccessary and it also can harm the snakes as well, and that frozen is a much better option, for the snake as well as the poor little furries. I have nothing against snakes at all (I love all animals, reptiles included) but I was not thrilled about live feeding. :(

Your story is wonderful. Bion was the true Rat Ambassador and you fell in love with him and it started a big change for you and your fiance in how you view rats. I am thrilled! I really melted when I saw that picture of Bion when he was just a little baby, getting his nutrients from you out of the syringe...one of the CUTEST most adorable rat babies I have ever seen. I wanted to scoop him up and give him kisses. My husband and I watched your memorial video and we teared up. A beautiful tribute. Hope you can show your fiance my post, or read it to him, so I can thank him from the bottom of my heart for not subjecting live babies to his snake anymore. :) Hooray! I am so sorry about Bion's passing away, but as Lilspaz said, he was so lucky be comforted by you up until the end. I am sure he is grateful to you for saving him, loving him, and giving him a safe and happy life. Bion is a very special rat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts