Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I was wondering if any of you more experienced rabbit owners could tell me where you purchase your rabbit food/hay online? I've been going to petco/petsmart but I'm looking for a good plain pellet type of food for my two 4month old buns, as well as some alfalfa and hay, I'm in California, Amazon has some stuff but is there some websites specific to rabbits where it's cheaper than petco/petsmart?

thanks for all your help!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I buy hay and pellets from Sweet Meadow Farm but it's mostly cheap/convenient because I'm on the East Coast. You can look into it but shipping will probably be more expensive for you :(.

Try drsfostersmith.com, that's where I used to get rabbit supplies from. It's especially cheap if you get enough to qualify for free shipping :).

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Is there any reason why you want to order online? I mean it can be cheaper but on top of shipping and handling it's definitely NOT worth it to ship to my city :( I also like to support local business therefore, keeping up the economy. My bunny eats Oxbow meadow hay like a boss, I'd never be able to afford the ordering on it and then be let down by postponed planes, weather et. . . I prefer, personally, to shop at home for essentials. Good luck!! ^^

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Petsmart carries Oxbow. :D

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I didnt want to order online really, I just wanted to know some good brands, we have a local feed store and they sell this very plain pellet, which might be my best bet, also, they have hay cubes, which look a lot less messy, has anyone tried these? they certainly have a lot more things for rabbits.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
The nutrient content is really important for plain pellets. Generally, yes, you definitely don't want seeds and color dyed bits in there. This link here shows the best content for adult rabbits in Oxbow's T pellet formula. Match this even closely with your local brand and you'll be okay! http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1536 I feed Martins Little Friends Timothy formula, in some stores under the name Less Active. So generally around these lines for pellet values.

As for hay cubes, I heard good things. I have never fed them but I'm sure they're way less messy!! lol As long as the fibre content is super high on them you should be fine :)

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Hay cubes are actually not an appropriate substitute for hay. The hay in them is chopped down into short little strands, which doesn't work the teeth and intestinal muscles as much as the long strand fiber in loose hay. It's fine as a treat, but shouldn't replace loose grass hay.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Smudge LOVES the hay cubes, but he gets them as treats. Actually, they are a lot messier IMO. When he is finished eating one, there is a big pile of dust/crumbs left that he enjoys spreading everywhere. At least the hay in his litter box is contained: he can pick up the cubes and munch on them in inconvenient places.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hahaa!! Didn't know that! Oxbow makes timothy grass mats too, there's no wires or anything in them. Acacia LOVED it but it made such a fearful mess!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Smudge LOVES his mat too. Remember when I ordered those grass mats that I said were super heavy duty? The first one hasn't even fully died yet, and he works on its systematic destruction every day... I'm amazed!

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
WOW!!! That's impressive!! I'm wary about getting another mat bc of the twirls of hay she leaves around. Such a mess. Maybe it would help distract her from getting so mad at bedtime when I lock her in. She has a tantrum and flicks around her rattles and blankets.. !!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow! I got Kodo one of those timothy hay tunnels and he ripped the whole thing apart in one day and he wouldn't even eat the hay. He just ripped it apart and made a mess that took forever to clean. Jess, where do you get those super heavy duty hay mats?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts