Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think about outdoor vs indoor dogs? i do believe its best to house a dog indoors if at all possible. but thats not an option for some people.
i personally never had an indoor dog. my daddy bred AKC rotts when i was a kid. oh boy were they spoild and taken care of! my mother also has an outdoor dog. again very well tooken care of.
i know some reasons people dont want an indoor dog is pet hair, and the fact they dont want there things chewed on etc. also many landlords will not allow an indoor dog. but i dont think this means that you shouldnt have a dog!
i watch animal cops often and i see that dogs outdoors are sometimes miss treated. chained dogs, yes they are more mistreated but i wouldnt say that about an outdoor dog.
we kept the dogs in the house during storms or very hot or cold weather... they hated it indoors and rather be outside!
I personally see nothing wrong with keeping a dog outside!

· Registered
1,593 Posts
I guess I have kinda mixed feelings about it. I get so attached to my animals that it's hard for me to imagine them not being inside with me. In this heat can they even be kept safely outdoors? I guess I just think of commercials the ASPCA used to run when I was a kid...they'd show the poor dog roped up in the back yard all alone, watching the people having fun inside.

I guess it boils down to this: if the animal is healthy and happy, then that's what matters. If that can be achieved with an outdoors habitat, then I see no problem with it. These are companion animals though, and just chaining them to a tree and throwing them food...now that's wrong (and obviously not the type of outdoor dog you're referring to).

· Registered
975 Posts
Please read this link on outside dogs: http://www.vbspca.com/library_advice_outside.html maybe you can understand where I am coming from.

If dog hair bothers you and you think that is a valid reason to keep an animal out of the house IMO a dog is probably not the pet for you. I am allergic to cats.. I like cats and would love to have one, but I can not live with one in my house... I could keep one outside my house, but I think it would be extremely selfish of me to expect a cat to live its life outside just because I want to have one. So If having a cat inside the house isn't an option then having a cat isn't one either.

My dogs like being outside when we are out there, but if we are in the house they want to be inside with us (this is how most well rounded dogs are)... if we go away they are left securely in their indoor kennel/den where they go during storms or is they are scared because they have been trained that this is their safe place ... often times I find that people that have the whole outside dog opinion do not want to take the time to train their dog to behave properly inside (IE: house training and off the furniture not chewing things they shouldn't)... if a dog is not trained to be inside the more likely the time is not being spent training them to safely be around people (not saying this is the case with your dads rotts because I have never met them). Please read the part in the article above about outdoor dogs and their behavior and how many are euthanized yearly because of this.

I have yet to read an article or study on the positive effects of leaving a dog outdoors in a pen or on a chain during the day, if you have any to share I would gladly read them, and could possibly re-evaluate my opinion on primarily having a dog be outside. Can you back up your opinion with facts?

· Registered
3,722 Posts
I have both. Odie lives indoors, Charlotte and Valentina live outdoors. The reason is, my parents... in fact, my mom... doesn't likes dogs indoors. When I got Odie, I talked to her before taking him, and to had to ask permission to all the members of the family. Mom had agreed that I could take him as long as he was kept outdoors. When I got Odie, he was a week old, and obviously couldn't be outside, so mom had agreed to keep him inside till he was older. I had gotten him in summer, and when I was back in college on August, I took him to my apartment with me and kept him indoors. I came here only during the weekends, and kept Odie in my room. By the time I graduated, Odie was 2 years old, and obviously used to be indoors, so mom agreed to continue to keep him indoors.
Charlotte came to us as a stray. We took her in cause a neighbor hit her with a broomstick, so we locked her in the backyard and were going to take her to the shelter. It was a busy week and we couldn't take her to the shelter, and dad has fallen in love with her, so he wanted to keep her. I of course had wanted to keep her since the beggining, but since I couldn't make the trip to my apartment with 2 dogs, knew that I couldn't keep her. Since dad had agreed to feed her and take care of her during the week, well we ended up keeping her. She was 4 months old, and there was no way of tricking mom to let her stay inside, plus I was not here to watch over her, and well.. I'm the big animal person of the house. Valentina was pretty much abandoned here by my sister and brother in law.. story similar to Charlotte as why she's not inside.
The girls share a rottweiler-sized doghouse, they have a big backyard that is full of plants and trees, they love to chase/hunt green iguanas (even if I don't really love that they do that... but, hey... they love it). They are never tied, when there are storms, they come inside. They get to torture Odie every now and them (they love him, but for some reason he hates them).

· Registered
473 Posts
I think it really depends on where you live, what sort of fencing, how trustable your dog is, what sort of protection from weather your can provide- safety above all else. I personally have all my dogs inside because I have a crazy neighbor who likes to use dogs for target-practice (I will not get into how often I've called the sheriff on him and how they have always blown me off). That meant bringing 6yo Sirius inside- who had always been an outside dog. He is not happy inside- he is bored- and he is not physically able to exercise out the boredom. We play catch with him when he will participate, but mainly he lays and stares out the window all the time and goes out and hobbles around the yard peeing on stuff. Not all dogs make good house dogs.

· Registered
274 Posts
I think it depends really... i personally could never have an outside only dog.. my dogs go outside to do their business, and come back in... there are those dogs who, say, live on a farm and protect the animals (sheep and such) that arent inside dogs, and werent raised to be indoors that dont mind it.. and those dogs are well taken care of because they have to be in good condition to protect properly... but i think thats where it should end... if you wanna have a dog as a pet, how can it be properly socialized if its kept outside all the time? in my opinion, if you have a properly trained and socialized dog, theres no reason why the dog cant be both

· Aspires to Change Oil
2,902 Posts
My parents wouldn't allow us to keep the dogs indoors, mostly due to the cats. There were other reasons and we got them when I was younger and I just agreed. They've been outdoor ever since and I do not know which they would prefer. They were never trained to be indoor since, well, I spent a lot of time outdoors when I was younger anyway. So if I was in, they entertained themselves mostly.

If we have a home of our own I do hope to get them back someday. I refuse to separate them however, so they stay with my parents for now. Plus we can't afford to take care of a dog right now.

I think that if the dog is safe and well taken care of outdoors there is no real problem with it.

· Salamander Burgermuffin
2,774 Posts
i think its ok to have an outdoor dog, but theres a huge difference between chaining them to a tree and throwing them food the way Leo is thinking, and people having actual outdoor dogs. an outdoor dog loves being outdoors, as my moms dogs do, if you want to bring them in at night, or in bad weather, you have to leash them and make them come in, because they do like it out there. they love when we spend time out there with them. but are more than happy to just be out there together. Now our dog Allie on the other hand, doesnt enjoy spending too much time outdoors, she does her business, sometimes plays with the neighbor dog, or basks in the sun for a little while, then wants in. either way works. if your dogs wants to be outside all the time i think its best that they are allowed to

· Registered
853 Posts
I have a lot of mixed feelings about all this. I have 4 indoor dogs, 3 min pins and a chi., For very apparent reasons they don't go out much ( Their to lil ) Rascal does love to be out there though so he spends a lot of time outdoors when I am there to keep a careful eye on him. I live on a farm and I do also have an outside dog. He's an Australian Shepherd.He was a inside dog when he was a puppy but he likes it a lot better being outside He does come in at night (when he wants to) and in bad whether. If he stays outside he has the run of the place and is very well taken care of.At night I shut the gate on my porch so he will stay there intil the morning and mainly he stays right with me at all times( which that is what he is supposed to do ) he herds the animals and all that. I don't agree with one being tied up all the time, that just dosen't seem fair. If you have a fenced in yard and they have a place to run and play and everything thats different.. I know of a lot of dogs ( esp. big ones) that would much rather be outside. Some dogs can't stay indoors I know of a lot of hunting dogs and ones like that that have a hard time breathing inside ( or maybe it's just because of the air conditioner) I don't know... But thats just what I think...Everyone has their own opinion on things..Not everyone's the same...

· Registered
975 Posts
ratty_ratkins said:
i have read that article once, after the three times you have posted it....
and no i still dont see where you are coming from. not everyone is the same and does the same thing, and not every dog is the same.
How can you not see my point on the HEALTH of outdoor dogs vs indoor ones??? (this is factual information BTW not just what I have been taught or emotionally how I feel):
Generally, an owner that keeps their dog inside is more observant of that dog, therefore, being more in tune with their dog's health, temperament, and whereabouts. A dog kept strictly outside is more prone to medical problems. these dogs are at a much greater risk for parasitic infection such as fleas, tapeworm, hookworm, whipworm, and roundworm. There is also the potential to pick up such diseases as rabies, parvo, and distemper because they come into contact with unvaccinated, stray, or wild animals. Digging in soil exposes the dog to fungal infections. Outside-only dogs are also more prone to ear problems such as fly bites, ear mites and infection.
And on how dogs need to be around people?
Dogs, by instinct, are very social animals. When in the wild, dogs run together with other dogs as members of a pack. Over many years, dogs were gradually domesticated and came to rely on people for care and companionship. You could say people became the dogs' "pack members". When a dog is kept alone outside and never allowed inside with the rest of the pack members, behavioral problems will develop and the dog's safety and health will be jeopardized.
And what happens to an outdoor dogs behavior and how this causes the euthanization of hundreds of dogs?
Most of the behavioral problems incurred by dogs stem from boredom and lack of human companionship. Chronic barking, digging, licking of feet, legs and underside, running away, and eating foreign debris are all examples of common problems which occur when a dog is kept entirely outside. Every day, animal shelters like ours receive countless numbers of stray dogs who have wandered away from their homes. They also receive dogs relinquished by their owners because of behavioral problems caused by neglect. A good number of these dogs must be euthanized because we can not place animals with such severe behavioral problems, or simply because people are not as likely to adopt a dog that has not been properly socialized with humans.
The above quotes come from http://www.vbspca.com/library_advice_outside.html
This has nothing to do with dogs being the same it has to do with responsible dog care and the facts I listed above. I know that some dogs do enjoy/love being outside more than others and if they want to be outside for a few hours to play during the day if the weather is right, you can watch them and keep them in a safe secure yard that is OK, but to have your dogs stay and sleep outside on a regular basis for such reasons as "I don't want the hair in the house" or "my landlord told me he has to stay outside" are completely invalid reasons to kick a dog outside.... if I was in a situation where I had to move someplace that didn't let me have my dogs I have a backup plan for them, and it doesn't involve them living outside. Part of being a responsible pet owner is making hard decisions including whether you are in a situation (financially, location wise, physically and emotionally) that is good for getting a dog to begin with.

I am not referring to people that keep a dog chained outside all day, because that IMO is animal abuse and if you are chaining your dog outside perhaps you should be asking yourself why you have a dog to begin with? (several states have recently passed laws banning chaining dogs for extended periods of time so it really isn't just my opinion). I would think most people would agree with me on this.

I am still waiting for a website or any published source that promotes the "outside dog" if you would like more information on why to keep a dog inside I can give you several other sources (this includes most any published dog book about owning and caring for a dog)... part of a good debate is both sides backing up their opinions with published facts.

Emotionally why I don't believe in dogs being outside:
I understand several people on here live with their parents and their parents don't want their dogs in the house... Why I feel so strongly about this definitely stems from my not being allowed to have a dog as a child.. I begged & begged literally every day from the age of 7 for them to let me get a dog and I said that it could stay outside (because my parents couldn't have a dog in the house due to family allergies), but they told me it would be no life for a dog to be kept outside all the time ... I had to WAIT until I MOVED OUT to get a dog... as soon as I moved into a situation that allowed dogs I got two... I can not imagine allowing my dogs to sleep outside at night ever, they are my family members I would not leave one of my kids outside all day or night so the dogs aren't left out there either ... emotionally this is why my dogs aren't outside (I also know the true facts of the health of inside vs outside dogs) ... maybe the way you were brought up allows you to see them in a different light than me and you might not have as strong bond/connection to them because they weren't your dogs, so your heart doesn't feel like it is going to rip out of its chest at the thought of your dog living outside.

· Registered
3,722 Posts
Leo said:
I understand several people on here live with their parents and their parents don't want their dogs in the house... Why I feel so strongly about this definitely stems from my not being allowed to have a dog as a child.. I begged & begged literally every day from the age of 7 for them to let me get a dog and I said that it could stay outside (because my parents couldn't have a dog in the house due to family allergies), but they told me it would be no life for a dog to be kept outside all the time ... I had to WAIT until I MOVED OUT to get a dog... as soon as I moved into a situation that allowed dogs I got two... I can not imagine allowing my dogs to sleep outside at night ever, they are my family members I would not leave one of my kids outside all day or night so the dogs aren't left out there either ... emotionally this is why my dogs aren't outside (I also know the true facts of the health of inside vs outside dogs) ... maybe the way you were brought up allows you to see them in a different light than me and you might not have as strong bond/connection to them because they weren't your dogs, so your heart doesn't feel like it is going to rip out of its chest at the thought of your dog living outside.
I had to wait 21 years for my first dog, I like you begged for a dog since I was so young I can't even remember. I asked for it every christmas and brithday... I understand completely where are you coming from. But by the time I took in stray Charlotte, I had already worked at the shelter, and there was a 90% probability she was PTS. I didn't searched for them, they came to me, and I believe they have a good life here, with anual vet check-ups, anual shots, heartworm pills... all the health care they need. I go out almost everyday (I have to confess that last semester, I was so busy that even though I was living here, I wasn't spending enough time at home... not even enough time with Odie sometimes...). My dad goes out and plays with them everyday. My neighbor, when she's in her backyard, I see her caressing them and giving them kisses through the fence. My nieces when they are here, they also go out to play with them (after all, Valentina is technically their dog). My dream is to one day, when I move away from here and let them stay inside a lot more than they are now. But I see the space they have here, and how they run through the backyard and have fun, I guess I'll need a house with a big backyard so they can run around there too.

· Registered
975 Posts
ratty_ratkins said:
we are not talking about chained dogs at all.
my comment:
I am not referring to people that keep a dog chained outside all day, because that IMO is animal abuse and if you are chaining your dog outside perhaps you should be asking yourself why you have a dog to begin with? (several states have recently passed laws banning chaining dogs for extended periods of time so it really isn't just my opinion). I would think most people would agree with me on this.
Is in response to this:
Angelnstuff said:
i think its ok to have an outdoor dog, but theres a huge difference between chaining them to a tree and throwing them food the way Leo is thinking,

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I guess I have mixed feelings on this too.I personally wouldn't keep a dog outside,but then again I live in the city,which can be a dangerous place for pets left outside!

If a dog is being kept outside,then he/she should have access to food/water,adequete shelter,toys...etc at ALL times and the owners should bring the dogs in if needed,to the vet if/when needed and spend time with them.But to be kept chained or in a tiny kennel (beagles here in NL are often kept in tiny kennels with wire bottoms and not good shelter and no attention),it is cruel.

My mom knows someone,she works with who has two shepherds.They are kept outside,but get the best of care!They are spoiled rotten and often taken out on walks.They have a heated dog house and everything.Well one time there was a BAD storm and so these people decided to take their dogs in,but they started gasping for air and could not breath insode,as they are too used to being outdoors and they are fine outdoors.They called the vet and everything and in the long run they had to bring the dogs back out.

Some big dogs like it outdoors.Also alot of the beagles that we rescue love it outdoors.Of course once they are rescued,they are not kept outdoors,but they always wanna be out in the fresh air having fun!

So in SOME cases,it is ok...as long as the dog still gets all the care he/she needs!

· Registered
293 Posts
My dogs are inside dogs because our yard is not yet fenced. We plan on fencing off a good portion with lots of shade and leaving a child's swimming pool and other water sources in the next couple weeks. IMO that's better than the crates they are confined to while we're at work right now. They do well in the house while we're home, but they haven't gotten the hang of behaving while we're not yet. We are working with them.

I think that whatever works best for your dogs is the important message here.

As for not leaving them out over night I would do it if they showed a desire to, just as I would let my kids camp outside overnight if they wanted.

· Registered
79 Posts
I don't thin i've ever had outdoor dogs.. i like the idea that is someone does try to break into my house, i have some protection =) and I don't think a chihuahua would like it outside all the time..lol shes like a Diva...haha

· Registered
39 Posts
my dog (who I sadly had to give up when I split with the father of my children because I couldn't have a pet in rented accommodation) was an outdoor dog until I got my own way.

If it was up to him she would have been outside ALL the time.. he didn't even feel the need to walk her :( Truth is, we got her, he got bored, so she suddenly became "mine".

Anyway.. she was indoors in the day and shut out in her kennel at night, but as soon as I got rid of HIM she moved in and even slept on my bed at night lol

Some people just don't understand how to treat a dog.. she was my baby and a tear still comes to my eye when I think that I had to give her up...

Dogs should be treated like part of the family, would you shove your children outside in all weather and expect them to live outside all the time? (ok so i've thought about gettin my children a pig sty to live in.. but that's only cuz of the mess they make! lol)

Dogs should be housed, and let out for walkies and toilet only :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.