Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took in a stray cat. I was with my room mate one night and she just walked into my apartment. She was pregnant and roaming around, i had seen her before, and i live near a very busy road. I didnt find any lost signs and nobody was looking for her. She is very young, and the kittens didnt make it, i took her and them to the vet but she wasnt taking care of them and it was too late. Anyways, she is an indoor cat now. She doesnt try to get outside, but I feel awful when she sits looking out the window. I know it must be hard for her since she roamed free before I took her in but like i said, I live near such a busy road and I dont feel right about letting her outside. I am going to get her a harness so she can roam around our back yard, and its big, but everyone keeps telling me i should let her roam outside. I do not agree with this and I will be keeping her as an indoor kitty. I see lots of dead cats on that road and I do not want her to be one of them. Am I wrong in doing this?

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Although I don't have a cat, I'm VERY against keeping them outside. My neighbors have a cat that they just throw outside when they get sick of it... We've almost hit him with the car, he has been cornered and almost killed by foxes (Our other neighbors had to rescue him) and he kills all sorts of wildlife. But they still refuse to keep him indoors, even though MANY people, including us, have emailed them and asked them not to let him out. It's just so much safer for them.

If you do want to let her outside, I've seen these outdoor cat cages that look like they would be pretty handy. Or, like you meantioned, you could put her on a harness and supervise her outside.

BTW, I'm glad to see you posting here again!! :D It's been a while!

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I don't think you're wrong to do that, especially since you intend to let the cat out on a harness.

A lot of people have outside cats in my area. I see a lot of dead cats on the side of the road.

My actual neighborhood is pretty quiet so cats don't get hit by cars...they're eaten by coyotes.

I will never have an outside cat (although I do think cats benefit from "fresh air" and would like to have an outdoor enclosure and/or harness train them).

Edit: Not to mention the damage they do to native wildlife. It's not all about the cats IMO, it's also about protecting native birds (among others).

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I agree with the above posters. Harnessing keeps the cat and wildlife safe. It enables her to explore and get some air outdoors while supervised so she doesn't get killed. Great job on rescuing her!

I live on a one way cul-de-sac and there are a few cats which are let out which never leave the road somehow. The 3 of them are so lazy but are all looked after and fixed. They don't kill any birds and only one catches a mouse here and there. Mostly they sit on the steps of all the houses waiting for attention. I don't reccomend this "care" for cats since they are un-supervised and I don't even know how they came to be so reliable in not going off the street!! lol

Nice to see you back here btw!!

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Yup, I missed talking to you! :) I think it's time for some picture of this kitty though. LOL

· Registered
801 Posts
Great advices for you and thanks for giving her a great home. Looking forward too on her photo.. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.