Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my mom came home with a baby rabbit that they had found in a neighbor's yard. One of the neghbors had stepped on it and I believe it has a broken leg *(back left leg). He had very light bleeding from his nose. This morning I checked on it and noticed it's right eye is swollen and closed up. I took him out *(very carefully) and gave him some water. I do not know whether he is old enough to eat solids. He has fur, eyes are open, and is about the size of my palm.. a little smaller actually. His ears are about as tall as the tip of my pinky.
He seems to like cuddling with my hand. He refuses to move the injured leg. My mom refuses to call a vet or animal shelter. She basically slugged it on me to care for this animal. I am a 16 year old girl. I have no money and no way to take it there on my own. He is a wild rabbit.

The rabbit's home/family is in a very dangerous location and one of them has already been run over.
What should I do?

*(please keep in mind I'm very new to this site.. I just created the account today to get help for this rabbit.)*

Here are some pictures *(taken from my phone so it may not have turned out too well) of the rabbit:

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ON WHAT TO DO!! I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS ANIMAL DIE AND I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYWHERE ELSE TO GET HELP!

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I don't understand why your mom won't take it to a rehabber. She won't have to pay anything, the rabbit will be going to someone experienced and will get vet care.

There's nothing you can personally do for it if it has a broken leg, it neeeds professional care.

I hate to sound harsh, but if you don't find somewhere to take it it will probably die. Baby bunnies are very fragile, especially wild ones and especially injured wild ones. If it's bleeding from the nose it has a broken leg then it needs vet care. Plus, how are you going to feed it if it doesn't eat solid foods? You can't just feed them cows milk because they're digestive systems can't handle it.

I'm sorry, maybe if it was perfectly healthy I would say you had a chance to raise it yourself. But how would you feel if you had a broken leg and no one treated it?

I would talk to your mom and try to find a rehaber, if you want the rabbit to have a better chance to survive.

Good luck!

· Registered
144 Posts
omgg i know exactly how u feel!! im in the same situation right now but with a domestic rabbit!! but wild rabbits can eat veggies so try feeding it some. and for the leg try putting some olive oil on it it wont make his feet any better but it helps to reduce the pain. i have a website of rabbit experts. go on it and ask an expert what to do.. its free, heres the link:

http://www.allexperts.com/browse.cgi?catLvl=3&catID=703

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for replying to my post :)
The little rabbit is doing OK so far.. my mom DID finally take it to a vet and they offered to put it to sleep but she refused. They put it's leg in a cast instead and gave us some pain medication. The rabbit IS still nursing and so far they said he should be alright if we give him baby formula. His eye is still swollen and he can't open it all the way but he really seems to like it when we wipe it with a wet cloth :)
Thank you everyone!! I think he's going to be OK :D!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
feeding a wild bunny

you can give him anything he would find in the wild. dont try to feed him rabbit pellets. his body won't digest them. give him a bowl of watter as he wont know how to drink from a bottle. give him anything he would find in the wild. grass, weeds etc.

· Registered
6 Posts
the rest of the family

if the nest is in a dangerous location you can get a human trap and put it near them and wait for some of them to get caught. then you need to take it to a place that is a ways away as they will just go back to the previous nest if it is too close. then release them. they will scatter like rabbits but they find their way back to each other.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
bunnys only eat a few mins at dawn and dusk. Over feeding is the top reason for baby bunnies to die away from home when humans try to take care of them. Other animals eat every 2-4 hours bunnies eat twice a day for about 5 mins each.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.