Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day i was taking my mouse Oreo out of her cage, when i noticed this.

I let my dad know then i posted here. It looks like a bite, but she is my only mouse. Help me please, She has a CritterTrail one with extra tubes, just in case that info helps.:confused::(

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know what my problem is? I really would like answers.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Looks like she has been itching at something like mites or lice. Lice you can see but mites can only been seen through a microscope. I would suggest making a vet appointment to get some kind of revolution or ivermectin. I would be very careful because the mouse is so tiny.
I just read what you said in the shoutbox and DONT get another mouse until you figure out what is wrong with this one. I'm sure you know that already. If it is mites or lice they will go to the other mouse. It might look like one just has them but rest assured both do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ivermectin can be had easily over the counter at any farm supply store. Name brand for 1% is ivomec (cattle type). Just do a conversion for a different concentration, if applicable. Dosing is easier with 1cc syringes.

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well two different people at PetSmart told me it was most likely dry skin and just apply some NeoSporin. I figure if that doesn't work, i'm gonna try other stuff. (lol) though if it isn't dry skin i don't know what it is.

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
My rat had something that looked a bit like that. I just washed it with a little salt and some warm water mixed together and it cleared up really fast!!
Peppers wound was moist though and it looked as if the skin had just split open on the surface, so I'm not sure if this is the same.
Good luck!!
xxxx

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
If you use neosporin rub it in REALLY well. If you think it's dry skin then give your mouse a piece of stale bread with a little bit of olive oil on it...or you can just rub olive oil directly on the skin but that's a mess and the mouse will lick it all off..lol

Honestly I know you can get ivermectin over the counter but I wouldn't use it in the case of a mouse. You want to make sure you have the right dosage as too much can be bad for the mouse. Also I think topical treatments like revolution work better then ivermectin, but that's just my opinion.

·
Animal-Holic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, thanks everyone, she is acting normal and seems REALLY healthy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure to use sea salt, it has 7 times more nutrients than table sat.
Make a solution of 1 teaspoon sea salt to one cup of warm water. You dont want to make it too salty, or it will just irritate it. But the solution I gave you will help draw out any infection in there in the form of pus, or seeping liquid that you can just wipe off with a Q tip. It helps restores the damaged tissues pH level which will help it fight any infection on its own. Make sure you wipe it off after aswell... you dont want to leave it on too long.

you shouldnt use neosporin, after the medicinal ingredients wear out( after a couple hours), it's just a petroleum jelly and all dirt, and bacteria will get trapped in there from her cage. Sea salt solution soaks is your best bet. I've used it on myself, mice, dogs, cats and my horse and it works every time.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
How is Oreo doing???
It looks like a wound from excessive itching...meaning mice,lice or an allergy to something most likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts